Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll move the post over here? Here is the question I asked:
"Is anyone else running Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers on TFS TW heads? Im checking my geometry, and the rockers seem to be too far out on the valve stem."

I am makeing my own adjustable pushrod (can't tap the hardened steel, gonna have to break out the welder...), so that is'nt an issue.

The whole contact patch on the valve stem is at the edge of the stem (away from the rocker stud- closer to the exhaust outlet). It is in this area no matter how far, up or down I move the rocker arm. This seems odd.

I have the rockers on right, with the washer and guideplate under the stud. And these are 1.6 rockers.

The heads were shaved .050" to bring comp. up, but that wont have any effect on this problem.

What kind of rockers is everyone else using on their TFS TW heads????

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and luebben, did you leave those Proform arms on there? How do they work?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
That sounds strange to me. People use various different rockers with whose ever aftermarket heads so the head people have to stay with the stock geometry on the rockers or they would have to have somebody make a specific rocker for their head. Pushrods are easy enough to get in different lengths so thats a different situation. Too tall pushrods will push the rocker tips toward the outward edges somewhat like that. Are you absolutely sure you have the correct rockers?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Walt- did you see my reply on the other board?

JL

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
You're so smart!

"If you are running the TW heads you should use the rockers Trickflow recommends- Crane Gold Race (=Trick Flow rockers and Ford Racing rockers w/ different anodizing). Trickflow spent a lot of time checking rocker geometries to insure valve guide longevity. Go with what they recommend.

FWIW TFS specifically said not to use Harland Sharp"

JL

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH!

I saw the recomended list, but never read that you were not supposed to use Harland Sharps.

Guess this is gonna take a little longer than I thought.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I will use the 3/8" rockers. If I ever put these heads on a stroked 351 (waaaay down the road) can I just put a stud girdle on it and call it good? Will it hold up?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The "snout" on Ford rockers are a little longer than Chevy units. They are longer from the fulcrum to the tip.

If the roller tip is just too far forward off the valvestem, and different pushrod lengths won't do the trick, you might try a set of Chevy rockers. The first Twisted Wedge heads were designed around Chevy rockers, and valvetrain geometry could NOT be made right with Ford rockers. It took Chevy rockers and custom length pushrods to do the trick.

A few years ago TFS made a change to allow Ford rockers to work. They even took their old heads back and did some CNC machining to the top of the heads to "correct" the problem. I sent mine in (I bought some when they first came out, which have still never been on a car) and had them modified for free.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dragman, I broke one of my Proform rockers in three pieces after 3000 miles. I just ordered the trick flow rollers and will get them on the 26th or 27th. I had the same exact problem as you and when my new rockers come in I will let you know if the geometry is better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
maybe this will be helpful for someone, but i use comp "pro magnum" rockers with my tfs heads, these do require a slightly shorter pushrod to reach the correct geometry, but they work, they are about the strongest rocker youll ever buy, they have a lifetime warranty, and are rebuildable. for the price, i dont think they can be beat, only a few bux more than the tfs units.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Dragman,
I received the trick flow roller rockers and the geometry is now perfect. The roller is now in the center of the valve stem. It really made a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts