Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m installing a set of AFR 165 heads (#1399) on my 289. I got some conflicting info and I’m hoping I can find out what anybody with these heads are using.
Thanks for your help/advice

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've used Crane ( gold) , Crower stainless , Ford Racing ( Scorpion) Comp ( both stainless versions) and surprisingly ProComp stainless with success. I do not recommend roller tip only versions ever.
Randy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used Crane ( gold) , Crower stainless , Ford Racing ( Scorpion) Comp ( both stainless versions) and surprisingly ProComp stainless with success. I do not recommend roller tip only versions ever.
Randy
Randy, thanks for your advice, but I’m not clear about not recommending roller tip only. I was advised to use roller tip from AFR, scorpion, but not the Comp Magnum. Not sure why. I’m using a flat tapper hydraulic lifter cam. Can you shed a bit more light on your experience. I’m one of those measure twice before I cut kind of guys and want to do it right the first time.
Franco

·
Registered
747 Posts
Every time I tries the roller tip only rockers , the "cup" portion where the "ball" trunion rides turns BLUE from heat. Blue means red hot and that is BAD. Because of that I only use roller trunion and tip rockers. Others may have better experience than I do but "I" am not changing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts