Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m new here so bare with me...
I’m just working with 351c on ’71 Cougar. It’s original 2v with 650 Holley and single plane intake.
Couple months back it broke pushrod. I replaced that with new one that come with that project Merc. Placing that in bolt broke in to the head. It was like REALLY weak! I got stump of just putting my finger on it and twisted! There were also like 6 other bended rods.
Well that lead me to putting org 4v iron heads on and replacing timing chain. Only now after I had partly rebuilt engine I realized that camshafts bolt was 14mm! I live in metric country so It didn’t wake me up like it should have. Original 2v head intakes were also completely ruined by someone who has thing with Dremel... Sounds to me like some one maybe changed cam? Is there way to find out the lift that cam has? Heads are still of but waterpump, damper etc. Is already back on it. What kind of rocker arms should I get? I’m thinking cam has moore lift and maybe rods could not take it? Rockers were original and looks like they had no adjustment? Also rods look like original length.
I’m like totally lost here so help me out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi,
I’m new here so bare with me...
I’m just working with 351c on ’71 Cougar. It’s original 2v with 650 Holley and single plane intake.
Couple months back it broke pushrod. I replaced that with new one that come with that project Merc. Placing that in bolt broke in to the head. It was like REALLY weak! I got stump of just putting my finger on it and twisted! There were also like 6 other bended rods.
Well that lead me to putting org 4v iron heads on and replacing timing chain. Only now after I had partly rebuilt engine I realized that camshafts bolt was 14mm! I live in metric country so It didn’t wake me up like it should have. Original 2v head intakes were also completely ruined by someone who has thing with Dremel... Sounds to me like some one maybe changed cam? Is there way to find out the lift that cam has? Heads are still of but waterpump, damper etc. Is already back on it. What kind of rocker arms should I get? I’m thinking cam has moore lift and maybe rods could not take it? Rockers were original and looks like they had no adjustment? Also rods look like original length.
I’m like totally lost here so help me out.
Any pictures of what it looks like now?

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you have a dial indicator, yes you can find out what the cam lift is then just times it by 1.73 for lift at the valve. Check at each lifter and just rotate the engine completely each time. I'd check all to see if you have a bad lobe.Once you check at the lifter, you can check it again at the pushrod end of the rocker arm and it should be the same. Otherwise your pushrods might be to short and it takes some cam lift to take up the slack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a dial indicator, yes you can find out what the cam lift is then just times it by 1.73 for lift at the valve. Check at each lifter and just rotate the engine completely each time. I'd check all to see if you have a bad lobe.Once you check at the lifter, you can check it again at the pushrod end of the rocker arm and it should be the same. Otherwise your pushrods might be to short and it takes some cam lift to take up the slack.
Thx. It took me while to figure out what you are saying, but sounds brilliant after I (think) figured it out. I definetly need to go get one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts