Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy I bought it from did not say the bottom end was rebuilt. He said the motor was running and from a wrecked car. I was hoping to clean it up and change some gaskets and put it in my Falcon.
The light grey area is a coating that is missing over most of the surface.
The bearing clearance was .003"
I don't think this is usable but I've never rebuilt a bottom end of a motor. I was looking for some opinions from this forum.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't worry about the bearings; how is the crank? Bearings are cheap! Check prices on ebay.
Are the crank bearing surfaces smooth to the touch (and eye)? If so, get a buddy with a mike to check the dimensions. If they're within factory spces.; put in a set of new rod and main bearings and you're good to go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't worry about the bearings; how is the crank? Bearings are cheap! Check prices on ebay.
Are the crank bearing surfaces smooth to the touch (and eye)? If so, get a buddy with a mike to check the dimensions. If they're within factory spces.; put in a set of new rod and main bearings and you're good to go.
Just bare in mind that coolant in the oil can cause rod bearings to look similar to that....but does look like rough crank surface.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The guy I bought it from did not say the bottom end was rebuilt. He said the motor was running and from a wrecked car. I was hoping to clean it up and change some gaskets and put it in my Falcon.
The light grey area is a coating that is missing over most of the surface.
The bearing clearance was .003"
I don't think this is usable but I've never rebuilt a bottom end of a motor. I was looking for some opinions from this forum.
The bottom end is easy as cake! Tear it apart, drag it down to a machine shop to check the journals, and have the necessary surfaces taken care of, they can also usually get you a bottom end kit that is exactly the right size for everything. Also judging by the wear on those rod bearings you should also spring for a set of cam bearings to be installed as well.

Once everything comes back from the shop stick her together per their directions, double and triple check torque, stick the new oil pump in, slap the pan on, and drop it in the car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts