Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The Mustang II front end conversion utilizes a rear sump pan. Using the provided crossmember with the kit, a rear steer rack would not work. Not designed the way your thinking. But hey, anything is possible!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What parts off a 94 mustang can i use for thr brake system on my 62 fairlan 500 sc i want to do a bolt on set up and was wondering if it would work. Also, will the steering work?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rick, do you know where the R&C kit locates the engine compared to the original mounts? Im trying to mock up a 302 with a tremec TKO 500 in my 1964 Falcon and I have to modify the trans tunnel to fit the 5 speed.

Nathan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Falconnate,

You could contact Rod&Custom and ask Willie or William for that info.
Great guys to deal with.

Jet
Jet, I did call them (not sure which one I talked to) and he said it should be real close to original location. I was just looking for a more straightforward answer from someone not trying to sell me something. Im sure those guys are strait shooters, but a second opinion never hurts!

Nathan

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will have my engine back in by next week. I can get you some measurements. What are you wanting?

Jet
Mainly I want to make sure the engine doesnt sit any higher with the new mounts. Im using a Tremec TKO and need to raise the trans tunnel,,but i dont want it any higher than I absolutly need to. If I set it up off of the original mount, build a tunnel, then the motor sits 1/2" higher I could be in trouble! I guess I should just get the MII, install it, then mock it up.

Nathan

BTW, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend doing a test fit of the engine and trans before doing the final weld. When I put my MII kit in my engine was about an inch higher and an inch forward than the original location. I moved the crossmember back 3/8s which centered the wheels in the wheel well and lowered my rack and modified the rack bushings. With these adjustments I am back at the stock location.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good info guys, thanks. Let me ask you this. Are the motor mounts attached to the crossmember from R&C, or do they need to be installed? If not already welded on, I can make adjustments much easier.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Nathan,
We have jigs to locate motor mounts to the crossmember for any specific engine and they are welded in place on the crossmember. If you prefer they be left off and just included with the kit for you to locate, it can be done that way also.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
FalcoNate,

What is the Measurement from the back edge of your block to the Firewall? I'm curious now.

Because It does seem like there is more clearance then I recall prior to the install. But, it's been two years and several other projects since mine was factory. I might be thinking of another car.

Jet

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
FalcoNate,

What is the Measurement from the back edge of your block to the Firewall? I'm curious now.

Because It does seem like there is more clearance then I recall prior to the install. But, it's been two years and several other projects since mine was factory. I might be thinking of another car.

And I did modify the angled motor mount supports while the engine was out this time to provide clearance for the Milodon oil pan and to help with engine removal, along with making the core support removable.

Jet

·
Registered
97 Posts
FalcoNate,

Jet

Jet, I dont currently have the block in the car, but 1 1/2 inch sounds pretty close. I was supprised there was that much space, actually.

Nathan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nathan,
We have jigs to locate motor mounts to the crossmember for any specific engine and they are welded in place on the crossmember. If you prefer they be left off and just included with the kit for you to locate, it can be done that way also.
Rick, my biggest worry was the height. Im using a TKO and need to raise the tunnel, just didnt want to have problems if the new mounts were a little higher. I'll probably just wait untill I get my kit and install the crossmember before mocking up the final tunnel.

Nathan

41 - 60 of 66 Posts