Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a roll bar in it from a previous owner. They welded it under where the rear seat would be (behind the driver and passanger) and ran the bars into the trunk but never finished welding it back there. The guy gave me the original interior so I was gonna cut the bar out and put the rear seat back in. I was wondering if the bar is strengthing up the frame any or is it just a "safety" thing. If its nothing Im just gonna flush cut it to the floor, but it it does strengthen any (how it is now) I will leave it stubbed up and weld a flat bar between the two. It will be under the rear seat so you will not see it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My car has a roll bar in it from a previous owner. They welded it under where the rear seat would be (behind the driver and passanger) and ran the bars into the trunk but never finished welding it back there. The guy gave me the original interior so I was gonna cut the bar out and put the rear seat back in. I was wondering if the bar is strengthing up the frame any or is it just a "safety" thing. If its nothing Im just gonna flush cut it to the floor, but it it does strengthen any (how it is now) I will leave it stubbed up and weld a flat bar between the two. It will be under the rear seat so you will not see it.
Have any pictures of the bars you are referring too?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will take and post some right after work today

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Where does the roll bar tie into? If it doesn't tie into something substantial (suspension pick-up point, frame rail/pinch weld, etc.), it isn't doing any good (and may cause more harm than good). Also, if there's nothing tying the bottoms of it together (front-rear), it also isn't doing much good, unless you roll over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the pics. The one is from the inside of the trunk showing the bar was never finished welded in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
It doesn't seem to be tied to anything, I say cut it out.

Pete

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
It doesn't seem to be tied to anything, I say cut it out.

Pete
Agreed that it was installed just for looks and would do little to nothing in a rollover. Its possibly even more dangerous now since it is not being supported.

I too would cut it out OR I'd cut off the existing sections that go to the trunk and have new ones made of the proper length and then weld them properly to the hoop and in the trunk.

If you want the rear seat to be useable, cutting it out would be easiest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out its coming. Just wasnt sure if it was doing "any good" tiying one side of the frame to the other. If it was I was gonna weld a flat bar from one side to the other, but since its doing nothing I will just flush it to the floor. I dont really plan on using the rear seat much, but Im not gonna race it (except some playing around on some back roads) and I like the looks of having the full interior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts