Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, does anyone know if there was ever a late model 302 or 351w with a clutch pivot knob on the blocks like the older blocks do? It’s the hole by the bell housing on the drivers side. I’ve yet to find any info on it. Also does a T5 require that hole or does it not use that at all?

· Registered
5,093 Posts
As far as 302's, one would need to add an adapter bracket that uses the bellhousing bolts for mounting. They are available through the aftermarket. The same bracket would work on a 351w if it had no boss, BUT most (if not all) 351w's have the boss factory cast into them for such a purpose. (I am not so sure about an actual "roller" blocks though as I haven't seen looked for one.) In either case, if the boss is there, the actual hole would need to be drilled, tapped, and the face ground a little flatter as the factory did not do any finish work on that area--I used an angle grinder when I did a 1990 block.

T5's use a cable linkage for the clutch so such no pivot is involved.

· Registered
10,541 Posts
I haven't used Z-bars for a long, long time. Mostly hydraulic is my thing, but a couple with factory cables have made me happy also. That said you can bracket it, or drill, tap 'n dress as Dennis said, if a Z-bar is your thing.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on, well my car is a 69 Torino fastback with a T10 4 spd so I was hoping to use a newer roller motor and t5 and use all the same components as possible hence the question. I’d assume on the T5 I’ll have to use the cable setup so I won’t even need the knob then?

· Registered
8 Posts
As far as 302's, one would need to add an adapter bracket that uses the bellhousing bolts for mounting. They are available through the aftermarket. The same bracket would work on a 351w if it had no boss, BUT most (if not all) 351w's have the boss factory cast into them for such a purpose. (I am not so sure about an actual "roller" blocks though as I haven't seen looked for one.) In either case, if the boss is there, the actual hole would need to be drilled, tapped, and the face ground a little flatter as the factory did not do any finish work on that area--I used an angle grinder when I did a 1990 block.

T5's use a cable linkage for the clutch so such no pivot is involved.
Correct I just installed a 85 mustang motor with a T-5 into my 63 falcon and it used a cable. I had to do some work on my clutch Pedal to use cable but that’s all available thru modern driveline

1 - 5 of 5 Posts