Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever took a 87 5.0 roller block and changed just the cam(not the lifters)?
and anyone ever taken flat tops and got emcut for valve clearance then coated?
and shaved the heads down for more compression?
anyone know the stock compression? i want the sherman style 400hp build ala trukstop but it calls for the 280h isky cam..i dont think thats a roller cam so what changes would have to be made on the cam i hear the rollers react differently and have steeper ramp which would wipe out older cams or something like that...thanks

· Registered
1,285 Posts
That cam is in fact not a roller cam. However, what I would do at that point...rather than trying to install a flat tappet hydro cam and use hydro roller lifters (which may destroy one or the other eventually, not to mention pushrod length issues)...is find someone who sells a hydro roller cam with the same lobe separation, intake centerline, lift numbers, and duration @ advertised duration (I'm sure Comp, Isky, Crower, Crane, Lunati, or a custom grinder can accomodate you). What this will actually do in effect, is give the same or similar street manners (idle, torque, etc) as the Joe Sherman motor, with the slightly better cylinder filling capabilities (due to the steeper ramp rates) and friction loss of a roller cam. I can't see how that would add up to anything other than more horsepower and torque. Sherman used a flat tappet I'm sure for cost and ease of block selection (you can use flat tappet cams in roller blocks if you use flat tappet lifters, however using roller cams and lifters in an early block requires a conversion kit, or some other manner of positively locating the lifters) . A roller of similar specs will ALWAYS out perform a flat tappet cam, period.

This is my advice all summed up. Buy a roller cam of similar specs to the Isky 280H, buy roller lifters to go along with it. Enjoy the extra boost of horsepower and torque over even Sherman's 400hp motor, and don't worry about the tiny bit more money it might cost, it's really worth it since you already have the roller block.

Cris

· Registered
3,652 Posts
My buddy just did something simular.

88 5.0,
head milled 20 thou.
E-303 cam (same roller rockers that came on the engine) with 1.7 crane Cobra rockers = .529 lift
stock pistons though.

had plenty of clearence with the pictons though..

· Registered
1,899 Posts
The same magazine which featured the 400HP 289/302 also claimed to get 400+HP with a stock cammed 5.0 using nothing more than AFR165 heads. Believe it if you want,I don't.

· Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good ideas!
well i have roller lifters already, so heads may be a good answer, i just cant get much power out of this with the 2bbl and X stock intake, and my friend says a 4bbl wont make much difference, i want to build a kick but 2bbl engine if possible, i would even go as far as whatchamacallit fugeing. she hauls butt ..but not enough torque. some of these questions apply to my next build. thanks

· Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btw i have all the computer and efi stuff just sitting there, and now since i learned you can use the truck fuel pump(cheap) i may go that way one day, just much simpler as is for now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trukstopcowboy on 4/29/06 8:21am ]</font>

· Registered
1,285 Posts
On 2006-04-28 16:33, Just Jim wrote:
The same magazine which featured the 400HP 289/302 also claimed to get 400+HP with a stock cammed 5.0 using nothing more than AFR165 heads. Believe it if you want,I don't.
Agreed.

Although, Joe Sherman is a bit more reputable than that I'd think. Many...many people go through Sherman for race motors, and while a little publicity is nice, I don't think they'd stoop that low. If Sherman says his motor makes 400hp, it's a pretty good bet that it's somewhere very close in that ballpark. Remember also, you're talking stock heads yes...but stock heads worked over by a seriously experienced porter, as well as tuning and prep by a seriously experienced engine builder. I'd believe 400hp out of that setup myself. Now....would Joe Blow get 400hp out of a similarly built motor, without spending the $$ on dyno tuning, and expensive portwork? I'd say the chances are incredibly high that he wouldn't.

As for the AFR 165cc heads making 400hp lol....maybe with the cam, compression, and fuel intake setup in Sherman's motor =p.

My .02$

Cris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.