Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just came into some parts and I can go either way, but how much better is a roller over the flat. I am talking strictly hydraulic here. I know the basics, like rollers have less friction, are heavier, and can have a steeper ramp.

The $64 question is HOW much better is the roller? My duration figures are around the [email protected] mark.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Roller all the way!!!!!!!!
Lower oil tempature.
More HP.
Almost no wear on the valve tip or valve, parts will last forever.
Cooler running engine from the reduced friction.
Benefits of newer technology as it relates to roller cams and selection.
No worries about breaking in new cams.
Dont have to switch lifters when switching cams.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with cylinder head choice. If you are running a head that flows well at higher lifts, then go with the roller cam. If you are using a stock type head that doesn't flow much over .500 lift, a roller cam really doesn't have that many advantages vs the amount it costs to convert over. If you want roller cam lift with flat tappet cost, go with a solid flat.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
rollers:
start easier, idle better, flatter torque curve, lower oil temp, lower friction, MORE POWER. down side to rollers is you must upgrade the valve springs and keepers/retainers to premium parts, or you will be sorry later on. The springs are usually stiffer for roller cams, and this means more pressure on the pushrods, retainers and keepers, rocker arms, rocker studs, and everything else in the valvetrain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already have 300# springs (open) and severe duty valves with 10 degree locks. I can more easily go flat, but for enough advantages, I would happily go through the extra effort to use roller. Just trying to decide if the gains are really there. Lower oil temp is something I hadn't thought of. This will be going on long trips as well as doing some serious launching when asked to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts