Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this kit in yesterday. I've had it sitting around for 5 years. Since I had the rest of my front end apart, I took the opportunity to install it.

One thing about the kit that I didn't like was that the knurled sleeve that does not have a stop collar didn't fit that tight in the idler arm bore and would slide in further when I tightened the castle nut only a little bit causing the bearing cage to come in contact with the idler arm.

I took the steel shell from the old bushing and made a 5/8" bushing out of it that I put in between the sleeves in the idler arm bore to prevent the problem mentioned above.

All is good now.

P.S. I have my heim jointed UCAs and LCAs installed and all I gotta do now is alignment and I can take the car for a test drive.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've been considering rollerizing my idler arm, too. What kit did you use?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you have a power steering vehicle i recommend the roller idler arm, cause the caster is ++++ & the steering wheel will center after a turn.
A manual steering vehicle is better off with the rubber bushings to help center the steering wheel after a turn. A manual steering vehicle alignment specs call for almost o degrees caster to ease the steering effort. Bill

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
A manual steering vehicle alignment specs call for almost o degrees caster to ease the steering effort. Bill
Once upon a time, when our cars ran bias belted tires. Now with todays radial tires we set the caster to +2 1/2* - +3 1/2*.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Good point Bill. 66250 is right that many put more caster in these days, but I still keep it much lighter than PS at 1° to maybe 2° as a personal preference - enough to prevent hunting, yet easy to steer at low speed. Your 'rubber return' would certainly help that.

David

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to DC for a long vacation with the family so I haven't been on the site for a while. By the way, what a beautiful city (at least the parts we visited), incredible sites, mass transit Metro is great and the people were surprisingly very pleasant.

Saw Obama house hunting too. :)

I do have PS and I rebuilt my front end so that I could put more caster into it. I had only 1.5 degrees or so before and always felt it needed more. I plan to put 3-4 degrees in and then see how it drives.

The instructions say that if you want to create more resistance from the idler arm, just tighten the nut. This must have some limitation before the the axial stress on the roller bearings begins to cause premature wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts