Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the beginning of a lot of questions from me guys so be prepared.
While I have my 460 in pieces(sniffle and cry) I want to change to roller rockers. I can't help but wonder if maybe preload was off at break-in time and that's why the cam shelled. Anyhow, I want to use the Crane conversion kit for sure. What type of rockers should I use, Harland Sharp, Crane, Comp roller tips? I want good ones for the money. Something around or under $200 would be really good.
Troy

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to pull the heads Mr. Smartypants. Plus I don't have a machine shop I trust within 80 miles of my house. For my 5000 max rpm motor, the woosy conversion stud kit will work. What about rockers. Are Crane's (Summit part# CRN-52655-16) 1.7:1 rockers any good. They look like a descent design. I like how they have a groove and oil hole in them to run down to the roller tip.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
OK ... OK ... Your excused on the mill work

I'm not sure what that "Crane" part is ... I am running the Crane "Energizer" aluminum roller rockers on two engine as I type. No problems. The high powered Cleveland has the 1.7 (of course) ... the other is SBC 350 with 1.5. Both are doing just fine.

I think the last Jegs catalog I received indicated these were discounted to about $160.00 per set ... I paid more like $175.00.

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 1/8/02 8:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I use the Harland Sharps. They work great and are affordable.
You mentioned Comp roller tips. My opinion is that if you are gonna get roller anythings, don't waist your time with just roller tips. Get the real thing with the roller fulcrum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Harland Sharps will give the correct ratio. I believe that they are the best dollar value. I won't go into the theory of polar moment of inertia, but I also believe that they are a better design.
Alvin

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alvin, good to hear from you again. I think my thoughts have been influenced enough to go with the HS rockers. Many of the guys around here have run them and have had nothing but good things to say.
Now, I shouldn't have any problems with geometry should I? I am at stock 1975 deck height and stock heads with no shave. Stock length pushrods should line everything up correct? Or, do I have to bolt everything up, then make the call?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Harland Sharps are the way to go! I run them on my '71 429PI with Crane Studs and guideplates. I found and article before I purchased the rockers and found the 429/460 engines make best power with 1.7 intakes and 1.8 exhaust. Why I don't know, but I went with it and have been very pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts