Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
FE, I'm sure you're aware that the shock towers will have to go first. Then just about everything from there back needs to be replaced like the trans, driveshaft, rearend, brakes and suspension and then......... :eek:

Oh well, just do it. :D

John

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John... Why would the driveshaft have to go, or the trans for that matter?

I run a 1985 T-5 adn a 1977 Maverick 8" rear end.

The 99 4.6L GT motor only has 260 HP @ 5250 RPM and 300 lb-ft torque at 4000, I got half that HP in my Falcon right now in my 200, and my TQ is doing pretty good at around 195 ft lbs. at 4,000 rpm.

I just wanna pull a trailer at the same speed I cruise now (about a milliondy miles per hour) and still keep the fuel mileage in the 20's.)

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Cool swap, but the 4.6L is the modular series and has as different bellhousing pattern (duh), so adapter, new bell or other trans. I have not measured, but I would assume the shock towers are much too narrow as mentioned, and MII or similar suspension swap is common to get rid of them. The modular engines are very wide but short as they were originally envisioned for FWD applications.

David

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
wow. Same idead I have had.

Down the road is a '66 F100 for sale, it's a little rough but all there & comes with parts. Been thinking about picking it up and dropping in a V10 that I've already got half built at a friend's shop. He's sold his houses and shop and if I don't get my stuff soon it goes to the new owner who WILL scrap it.

2 problems on my end. No place to work on it. No money to finish the V10 although the heads are done so there's one of the biggest expenses there.

On the Falcon the 4.6 fits fine. Have to use a Mustang 2 style front end. But I have seen one at a show (Cobra SC 4.6 in a '62). 'Twas nice looking and apparently a pretty fun car to drive with it's 6 speed. Actually when I see a 4V 4.6 I think of a Boss '9 for some reason. It just looked 'at home' in that Falcon. Wish I'd have gotten a few pics.

·
Registered
691 Posts
wow. Same idead I have had.

Down the road is a '66 F100 for sale, it's a little rough but all there & comes with parts. Been thinking about picking it up and dropping in a V10 that I've already got half built at a friend's shop. He's sold his houses and shop and if I don't get my stuff soon it goes to the new owner who WILL scrap it.

2 problems on my end. No place to work on it. No money to finish the V10 although the heads are done so there's one of the biggest expenses there.

On the Falcon the 4.6 fits fine. Have to use a Mustang 2 style front end. But I have seen one at a show (Cobra SC 4.6 in a '62). 'Twas nice looking and apparently a pretty fun car to drive with it's 6 speed. Actually when I see a 4V 4.6 I think of a Boss '9 for some reason. It just looked 'at home' in that Falcon. Wish I'd have gotten a few pics.
Thats a lot of work to go to for what a good ole injected 5.0 would just drop in to...

it is a cool swap though.

or go 4bt and get 40MPG

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
John... Why would the driveshaft have to go, or the trans for that matter?

I run a 1985 T-5 adn a 1977 Maverick 8" rear end.

The 99 4.6L GT motor only has 260 HP @ 5250 RPM and 300 lb-ft torque at 4000, I got half that HP in my Falcon right now in my 200, and my TQ is doing pretty good at around 195 ft lbs. at 4,000 rpm.

I just wanna pull a trailer at the same speed I cruise now (about a milliondy miles per hour) and still keep the fuel mileage in the 20's.)
That explains a lot. I wasn't aware you were running that combo in your car. I just assumed it was a stock 6. As much as I'd love to see this done I can't help to agree with the 5.0 deal. My 347 makes nearly double that HP and was a LOT easier to drop in! ;)

John

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
or go 4bt and get 40MPG
That's certainly an option. It's cake to do a 2.3T at 200+ hp with just a free-flowing exhaust and tuning. Bellhousings are everywhere. Cheap parts. Common. Fits into any engine compartment. Waiting for another '62 owner to finish his interior and wiring to do another one. It's his wife's commuter car, and she wants both better power and better mileage over the I6.

David

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's certainly an option. It's cake to do a 2.3T at 200+ hp with just a free-flowing exhaust and tuning. Bellhousings are everywhere. Cheap parts. Common. Fits into any engine compartment. Waiting for another '62 owner to finish his interior and wiring to do another one. It's his wife's commuter car, and she wants both better power and better mileage over the I6.

David

What's a 4BT??

·
Registered
841 Posts
Its a 4 cyl cummins. Ignore that comment and move on. YES! DO EEET! 4.6 swap for sure! You'll prolly want to change to the correct 5 speed that matches that engine OR swap to an auto. ;) Electronics will need to be installed either way. If you're keeping it to a stock type set up, even easier.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thats a lot of work to go to for what a good ole injected 5.0 would just drop in to...

it is a cool swap though.

or go 4bt and get 40MPG
Not a diesel fan whatsoever. However, a screaming "Jimmy" would sound nice. Whether it'd fit would be a different story. Maybe a 4V53T-if a guy could find one.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
FE,
There is a guy on the TFFN putting a 4.6 in a round body.
I think he has it running now.

Yes, MustangII IFS will be needed, as will different transmission.

Get a complete donor car and go for it!

Jet

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy's, I've decided to stay I6 in the falconaround.

I just found my car after 20 years and I'm going to buy it!!!! It's a Pink 1964 FOrd Thunderbird! It's identical to the one I bought at age 18 and had to sell 243 months ago almost to the day!

I am Selling my Karmann Ghia and my 69 Reinell boat and trailer, adn my 62 IMpala to fund this purchase. (it's pricey)

As long as it's not rusted to ape schitt I'm getting it!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Boy's, I've decided to stay I6 in the falconaround.

I just found my car after 20 years and I'm going to buy it!!!! It's a Pink 1964 FOrd Thunderbird! It's identical to the one I bought at age 18 and had to sell 243 months ago almost to the day!

Dont you mean "salmon"?:rolleyes:

The girlfriends dad has an 04 'Bird. Its "salmon". I give him a good ribbing when I see him lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts