Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1975 "Roush" Mustang II Big Block Twin Turbo Charged:eBay Motors (item 280446659445 end time Jan-10-10 17:50:24 PST)

I remember this car well. I still have the original 1977 article in Hot Rod about it. I remember it making so much power that is was hard to handle. I think they ran it up to 140 mph back then, but had to slow down because they were on an unfinished freeway overpass. I also remember when Roush took an '83 Mustang and put a stroked Cleveland in it. I am pretty sure it was called "Sudden Death II". Both great cars and would love to have this '75 for sure.

Gapp Online | Sudden Death

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Certainly seems to be a bit of a messed up car if it has only 515 miles on it.

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
It's hard to see the car past that guy's finger!!! :D

I'm generally not a fan of Mustang II's but that's one I would like to have! Too bad it is in such rough shape these days, but it will likely show up on Barrett-Jackson in a few years completely restored and go for over $70K!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think it's awesome that the car is still intact. I was a subscriber when the SD2 article was published, and remember seeing the SD1 car pictured and briefly mentioned in that article.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember that '77 issue well. Baskerville also did a road test in a 427 SC Cobra. A "real" one! They also had an article on budget bracket racing with a '66 Mustang. It was cool to see the prices for the parts they put on it and how much quicker they got with each new upgrade. There was also a bunch of really cool race car/hot rods in that issue too. One was a drag truck called "Kaptain Krunch". It's amazing to see where we are now compared to the stuff back then. I think the goofiest car they had in that issue was a 4 wheel drive Pinto with flames and a 6-71 blown Cleveland and tilt hood on the thing. But "Sudden Death" was the sickest. The picture of Baskerville and Joe Ruggillero driving down the streets in Michigan in a car that for it's time, could beat anything on the road. Hey, Mustang IIs are still cool in my book. I just can't believe the thing is still around and basically all there!

·
Registered
150 Posts
i remember it, and yes i still own one. mine is rare and i think i will keep it that way.
the other thing is 2700lbs seems like its awful light what did they do to it.
515 miles original on what speedo????
6900 if the engine is in good shape and the tranny and rear assembly is good thats a good buy.
hard to shoe-horn a BBF in a MII, probably put a granada front end in it.
i helped change plugs on my buddies 76 cobra w/the 302 now that was a feat all in itself. i was happy with the little german v6 in mine no red-line
just needed different gears and it would scream the tires.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It didn't sell. Went to $6,900 and auction ended. I guess people have no idea what this car really is. I'd take it and use it to race in the 1/4 mile as it sits!

·
Registered
460 Posts
the only thing i can say about that is....I want it! I dont care if its a mustang II, its got a twin turboed 429 in it. It probably hauls a** but i dont think id try to take corner in it too hard.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
It's hard to see the car past that guy's finger!!! :D

I'm generally not a fan of Mustang II's but that's one I would like to have! Too bad it is in such rough shape these days, but it will likely show up on Barrett-Jackson in a few years completely restored and go for over $70K!
LOL! Doesn't even have to be restored and those rich collectors will pay $1mill for a "Roush" super low mile #9 or 15 made :) They're now paying 6 figures for kit cars and replicas LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently aquired this car and it will undergo a complete restoration to bring it back to it's appearance when it was first built in 1976 and appeared in Hot Rod Magazine in '77. The car has become somewhat of an urban legend. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of sharing it with the hobby for the first time in 30 years. For the doubting thomas's out there, I do have a copy of the original Ford Motor Credit title, dated 1975 with Ruggirello's name on it, so its provenance is beyond question.

More to come!!

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
whats the story on this car??? looks like it sat in a shed for a long time or something...Did Jack Roush still own it/park it and forget about it or what...looks great although slightly weathered...515 miles, 1/4 at a time huh :)

that will be a awesome project to restore- how long has it sat/is the motor still free? bet that thing was a wild ride :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its basically been in storage for almost 10 years. Before that, believe it or not, it sat outside at a used car lot to draw customers for a bit, which didn't take long to take its toll on the paint. The original silver is under the peeling white paint! My buddy and I saw the car back in 1995 at Gainesville Raceway for sale and the white paint looked good then. I don't think anyone knew what it was. We've been looking for the car ever since. Back then, it belonged to the guy in Miami who bought it from Ruggirello. It was mentioned in the second article in Hot Rod when they wrote up his second ride...an '81 fox body with a stroked cleveland.

Anyway, it runs great right now, but the turbos have to go. I intend to put it back to as close as I can get to the original photos. Luckily I was able to get the original accel tach drive distributor. The rear was originally a leaf spring setup, so I'm going back to it. Its had coil overs/ladder bars put on it and poorly set up.

I can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thats great news that your going to restore it back to its original incarnation! I've loved this car since reading about it in Hot Rod, & its one of the reasons I own & race a Mustang II, Please keep us up to date with its progress & lets get some pics of the resto!
Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I recently aquired this car and it will undergo a complete restoration to bring it back to it's appearance when it was first built in 1976 and appeared in Hot Rod Magazine in '77. The car has become somewhat of an urban legend. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of sharing it with the hobby for the first time in 30 years. For the doubting thomas's out there, I do have a copy of the original Ford Motor Credit title, dated 1975 with Ruggirello's name on it, so its provenance is beyond question.

More to come!!

Show us some more pixs please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts