Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for not consolidating all my questions into one post, but my brain only works on one thing at a time, lol! For those who haven't read my other posts, I'm picking out parts for a 289 buildup, right now I'm interested in what intake you guys think would fit the engine best. I'm planning on a Comp Magnum 282 solid cam, World Products Jr. or Sr. heads, around 9.5-10.0 compression, looking for peak power around 6000rpm, and redline at about 7000.

I think a single-plane would best fit that RPM range, but if I were to get a dual-plane it would probably be the Ebrock Air Gap. I think the Victor Jr. would be too big for my setup, so that more or less leaves the Weiand Xcelerator. If I had to buy one right now, I'd probably pick the Xcelerator. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
46 Posts
After picking up the latest 5.0 and super fords magazine, the air gap looks to be a very good choice. It actually made 5 less peak HP 100rpm higher on a 392 than the vic jr and more lowend torque, easily making up the 5hp peak difference. With a 289 doing anything to boost the lowend torque is a good idea IMO, especially if the car will be relatively heavy and gearing high.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That article was extremely interesting. In fact they also tested the regular perf rpm along with the rpm air gap and vic jr intake. The perf rpm was only down 10 hp to the vic jr and made more low end torque also...enuf that on that combo I dont see the vic jr making up the ground in a track test. The combo was a ford 392 crate shortblock and cam with world products roush 200 heads and 1 3/4 long tubes. Carb used was a 750 demon.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is interesting. How big of a cam was that engine running, and at what RPM did it make peak HP at? Which month issue of superford was that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The cam in the FRPP 392 is the comp XE roller 282 which specs out at 232/240 .565/.574 112. Peak power was at 5500 for rpm, 5600 for vic jr and 5700 for air gap.

I am with you Chilly, I want to see this test on a set of heads tha flow some serious air, not the silly roush 200's. I want to know if the airgap can keep up with the flow demand of a serious head.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I use the xcellerator on my 302 and it works very well.As for the crate motor test don't forget the victor intake is rated from 35-7500 rpms were as the air gap is from 15-6500 so its not surprising that the air gap worked better if the motor was all done around 5500 rpm.If the motor was set up to make power to 7500 the vic probably would have been more impressive especially if it was starting to pull away from the air gap at only the middle of its power band

·
Registered
30 Posts
i am currently running the RPM AirGap manifold on a late model (but carbureted) 302 set up. although my cam specs are just shy of yours, i can say that i am pleased with the overall performance. the deciding factor would be where your power band is going to lie. you want to create peak power around 6000, but is that cam suitable for this goal? and if so, how will it react witht he drivetrain you have or are planning on running behind the 289? i prefer the dual plane manifolds over the single anyday b/c of how they build the power and torque curves, and i think you will to.

·
Registered
904 Posts
backdft21 how much horsepower and torque do you think your producing?
thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
kenny, although i haven't taken it to the dyno, i would expect that i am within the range of 300-325 at the wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts