Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone have a link or want to explain to me the difference between an edelbrock performer intake and performer RPM intake. I'm interested in deck height clearances, carburator compatibility, and which would be the best application for a moderately built 302 with a factory engine block (power in 1,500 - 6,000 rpm range).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really know the clearance of them you could probably check with edelbrock's site. The performer rpm is taller than the performer hmm probably by 2 inches or so guessing. But I do know that the performer has a range from idle through 5500 rpm and the performer rpm has 1500 - 6500 rpm. If your car is pretty modified I'd go performer rpm (cam, heads, gear etc.) for the mid range and upper rpm power. but if it is mildly modified I would use the performer for the low end torque it produces.. Because if it can't breathe well in upper rpm range the performer rpm will probably hurt in the area you need it. Specifically if you have a high gear ratio?
Also square flange 4v carb's are what the edel's hold. Say a holley or edelbrock 4v.
Hope this helps..!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now the car is mildly built with high (2.79) gears. Soon it will have an upgraded intake, 4bbl carb and cam. But, over the next year or so I hope to upgrade the heads and get a lower gear gear, say 3.55 and better exhaust. Perhaps it's best to go with the performer now and then upgrade to an RPM if I feel the top end power isn't where it should be. Thanks for helping me think this out.

·
Registered
749 Posts
according to the specs given on edelbrocks site the carb would set just under and inch higher with a perf rpm intake vs the perf intake. If your are going to make the mods you mentioned I would not buy two intakes. Just get the perf rpm right away. You wont even notice the diff if any off idle and save some money in the long run.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the performer on my 351C 4V, and just about the time it gets to those RPM's that win races it peters out, (5,500)
My truck is a daily driver so I think I might go with the RPM or stelth from Weiland. I need that wide range of RPM's.

As for you???? your choice, once you do all your work you will change, eventualy......

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the preformer RPM air gap and I love it great power in low end and up pretty high too

It is designed like a victor Jr intake with the open plentum to keep things nice and cool

depending on what you are running hood clearance maybe an issue since it sits almost as tall as the victor Jr

·
Registered
5 Posts
O.K here's my experience with the deal. Had a 74 comet that was lightly modified with 2:79 gear. Still ran really good with the stock intake and carb. So we purchased the rpm intake and a new 4v carb and it ran like a turd? Could not even powerbrake the thing..! Why? Cause the intake was a big mismatch. You couldn't even feel it until you hit about 3500 rpm's which sucked cause redline was just around the corner. We needed the performer for that exact reason. My opinion is if you got the guts (components) the performer rpm is excellent. The airgap even better but bigger vertically cause of the seperated runners underneath. Just don't mismatch Unless you are upgrading in the future. Use good judgement grasshopper!!
With the stuff you mentioned getting and installing later, the performer rpm is the only way to go with the setup. Performer rpm's love low gear's 3:55 3:73 etc.. and juicy cam's and head's. errr just my $0.02

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ford_Speed on 1/30/02 11:38pm ]</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't discount the weiand... I like my weiand (8011?) I had a performer on the cougar and the runners do look a good bit bigger on the weiand. remember though bigger flow puts the powerband up higher in your RPM's. Where do you want your power??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts