Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for header gaskets? can copper rtv be used??? What I've got on an engine I'm building for a guy is that the ports on the exhaust are big, and trimming standard header gaskets would be iffy? If hi temp rtv can be used, what's the proper procedure for a good seal? Any brands that I should look for?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well are they aftermarket heads or ported iron? If there aftermarket ,call the manufacture on the gaskets they recommend.
Ported irons are a different story. You might need to call a local speed shop and or maybe summit racing to get some ideas as to what might work.
good luck

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If the headers have good quality flat flanges, you can use RTV. I use the Ultra Copper. I smear a thin layer on the head and let it set up. Then bolt on the header. It works great. I never buy header gaskets.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have lots of good luck using NO gasket or sealant. That goes for stock exhaust headers (5.0) and replacement headers with separated flanges... Of course the surfaces must be true...

Two nights ago I removed a leaking header off my 5.0, discarded the paper-metal gasket that was on the car when I got it, wire-wheeled the header clean, brake-cleanerized the whole works, and sprayed the head and header flanges with spray graphite (for kicks to see how it woked) I drove 250+ freeway miles since with no annoying tick-tick-tick any more!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 2/21/06 8:58am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.