Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this weekend I'm getting all my stuff together for my truck. We have to re-assemble the front suspension, drop the 460 in, and put the front end of the truck back together. But before that, I need to run all my brake lines.

I've converted my 72' F100 to power discs from a 78' F250. For a power master cylinder setup, I have gone with an aftermarket kit off of ebay, with what appears to be a GM MC (Don't hold it against me). The following is similar to what I bought (although not the same, brackets are different, etc.).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-7-BRAKE-BOOSTER-MASTER-CYLINDER-FOR-STREET-RODS_W0QQitemZ8067066347QQcategoryZ33566QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The master cylinder looks exactly like the one I got. THe problem is, the master cylinder has two lines out for both the front and rear brakes. My stock setup (manual drums) used only 1 line out for both the front and the rear, and then used a proportion valve to T the fron brakes and dampen the rear brakes, then it T-ed the rear brakes on the rear-end.

My question is, can I just block off the once side of the MC and run the lines straight to the Master Cylinder as it was setup before? Also, does the Mastercylinder have a built in proportioning valve to deter pressure from the rear brakes? If that is the case, I don't want to run it through a proportioning valve a second time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You should not block off one of the ports on the mc. This is defeating the purpose of a dual mc. You will also need a different prop valve. It is not built in to the new master.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I dont' think you understood what I meant. THe original master cylinder is a dual resevoir as well. I don't mean block 1 out of 2 of the ports on the master cylinder, I mean block off 2 of 4. If there is no proportioning valve in the MC, then I could still run it through the original. Otherwise I'd have to buy 2 aftermarket ones to restrict both the rear brake lines. I would still be using both resevoirs if I did this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65bird on 5/27/06 10:17pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
They give you 4 ports. 2 for the back and 2 for the front. Just use either side and block the side you dont want. Doesnt matter which side you use.
Use a proportioning valve after the saftey valve on the rear ,and only if you have changed the front or rear brake setup. However considering that your moving up to power brakes, you might need one. Not sure on that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts