Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished rebuilding my 351C. I built an engine stand to run it on. This is my first engine rebuild and the first time I will be putting one on a stand. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what I need on the engine to run it. Here's what I have on the engine now; I'll start with the bottome of the engine... Oil pan, block is completed with water pump installed, heads, valve covers, headers, intake manifold, edelbrock 750 performer, oil press sending unit, temp sending unit, thermostat, crankshaft and waterpump pulleys, C4 bellhousing, starter, spark plugs... Ok, I know I have to put the distributor on, but I am waiting until just before the start up so I can prime the oil pump (already did it once to check to make sure it worked and the oil was flowing up to the heads properly) at which time I'll install the plug wires... Do I need to put the alternator on? I was thinking I do because of the pulley. How about the power steering pump? Valve covers, do I need to hook the valve covers to the carb? Someone said I didnt , but someone said I did... If I do, does it matter which cover I hook to the carb? If I dont, what goes in the holes on the valve covers? Like I said, this is my first engine rebuild and I am learning everything as I go. I'd like to say Thanks in advance, I really appreciate all the help.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
run in stand needs the same as a dyno run , there is pics of dyno runs on the net . look at them . common sense ---does your stand have a steering gear ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Dan, what may seem common sense to you, doesnt to me. There are so many differnt set ups and engine configurations that I'd rather ask someone who knows than to look at a pic and hope I am doing it right... but to answer your question, no it doesnt. As I stated, I am new to rebuilding engines, 2 months ago I didnt even know what apower steering pump looked like .

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Well Dan, what may seem common sense to you, doesnt to me. There are so many differnt set ups and engine configurations that I'd rather ask someone who knows than to look at a pic and hope I am doing it right... but to answer your question, no it doesnt. As I stated, I am new to rebuilding engines, 2 months ago I didnt even know what apower steering pump looked like .
Not to worry, I've seen "mechanics" with 30 years "experience" that didn't know what one is either.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Keep it simple. I do this all the time with new engines. You need the alt so you can run the water pump belt. Does it need to charge no. Power steering pump no. Valve covers yes. I would hook up the PVC if your using one. After you get it running an timing set etc then set carb idle and idle mixture. I posted my engine stand below.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-ford-techboard/495488-engine-test-stand.html

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
arnoldtx..Nice post, just what he needed..
dacofaII..Great reply.. People seem to forget the time they started..
DanH...BAD DOG !!! BAD DOG!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Shipmate, Here is a list of the only things that are Paramount to have on your home built engine run in stand.

1: Good welding

2: Radiator

3: Ignition source and ignition cut off source, (simple 12V going to coil and a keyed switch or toggle will do) Arnold has a great dash board in his thread.

4: Keyed or push button starter signal.

5: Bell Housing

6: Fan either on engine or an electric fan on the radiator.

7: Short Exhaust system Ventilated to the outside unless you do it in the driveway...

8: Fuel storage

9: Coolant overflow bottle

That should suffice to get your motor running on your stand.

·
Registered
780 Posts
DanH.... What validates that steering gear on the engine stand question? I really don't get this one...
I think it was sarcasm based on whether a power steering pump was needed or not.

Make sure your stand is sturdy and be careful when revving the engine. When you rev it quickly it will create a lot of rotational force and want to flip the stand over.

Instead of a radiator you could just use a garden hose connected to the lower water pump hose fitting and route another hose from the thermostat housing to the ground. Block off the heater hose fittings. That's how I've run my boat motors.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Remember when you're running an engine at 2000+ rpm on a stand there is no airflow to cool the exhaust manifolds like there is in a car traveling down the road. Any oil on them may catch fire (seen it happen).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here is a pic of how I did it using a auto trans bellhousing to hold the starter. You have to weld engine mounts in place and bolt the engine to them before removing the brace at the back of the engine that is part of the original engine stand. The stanchions you see in the pic are not necessary as I found out. If there is no load on the engine, it is not going to tip over. A couple of 40 lb sand bags on the bottom of the stand is good enough.

What's not in the pic is the battery and gas can.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
DanH.... What validates that steering gear on the engine stand question? I really don't get this one...
common sense . do you need a shifter in Park to start an engine on a stand ? basic auto skills /knowledge and the big one-- problem solving (thinking) was the old way to get the job done

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help, I'm pretty sure I have everything figured out. And I do need the power steering pump b/c it is what connects to the water pump, not the alternator, as in one pic I saw.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Thanks for all the help, I'm pretty sure I have everything figured out. And I do need the power steering pump b/c it is what connects to the water pump, not the alternator, as in one pic I saw.
Running the PS pump will not be fun. If you have an alt that runs of the crank pulley then just space out the alt so you can use it. A few flat washers should do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why is there is one person on this forum that sticks his nose in and makes comments and replies that would be better left to himself, at least he would listen to himself and not think "what a jerk" like most of the rest of us do. Sorry, had to finally throw that in.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Why is there is one person on this forum that sticks his nose in and makes comments and replies that would be better left to himself, at least he would listen to himself and not think "what a jerk" like most of the rest of us do. Sorry, had to finally throw that in.
There is at least one on every board that has to make comments to belittle folks. Why they do it spans a large spectrum. Some are intolerant - maybe they were never beginners, Some are too ignorant to answer the post, some are just people without manners.

You don't need a radiator if you supply water from a garden hose. You do need to run the water pump and you need a starter and related electrical. ignition system is required as is some form of exhaust (the neighbors will appreciate mufflers but they aren't required. You will want to be able to monitor oil pressure and water temperature as well as rpm - so a tach is necessary. You will want to pre-lube the engine just before you start it - one last time. (you should pre-lube to check the lifters, pushrods and rockers are all getting oil as they are installed)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts