Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a little extra boost in my new 302 (1980), rebuilt at 50,000 and the vast majority of it is stock, would a nitrous shot be a possibility here or am i dreaming? If nitrous is a bad idea, any suggestions for a quick hp/torque gain?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If you're serious about running nitrous then I would highly suggest that you buy and read about how to tune a car for nitrous and how nitrous works. The guys that know NOTHING about nitrous and then slap a kit on their 100k mile cars only end up in trouble.

How much extra hp you looking for? Honestly, you should have thought about that when you rebuilt your stock engine at 50k....just saying.

Anyhow, you could get aftermarket exhaust, underdrive pulleys and gears, if you looking to get maybe another 25-30hp. If you insist on nitrous then I would buy the book as mentioned above to save yourself some grief.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I'm looking to get a little extra boost in my new 302 (1980), rebuilt at 50,000 and the vast majority of it is stock, would a nitrous shot be a possibility here or am i dreaming? If nitrous is a bad idea, any suggestions for a quick hp/torque gain?
Me and some guys did just that on an old Granada and beat the bark off it. It kicked ass for way longer than any of us suspected. Over 100,000 miles on it. Constantly revving it to at least 6900rpm. Got 2 month of abuse until a rod popped out the side.

Honestly we thought it would last one weekend. Surprised a lot of Vettes and Camaros.

Matt

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
If you're serious about running nitrous then I would highly suggest that you buy and read about how to tune a car for nitrous and how nitrous works...
+ eleventybillion. This is the secret to fun, reliable, large power on spray. Nitrous is only bad-mouthed by people that don't know how to use it properly. ;) Do it right and it'll last as long as you decide. If not ...
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough."
or is it
"Stupid is as stupid does."?

Anyway - do it right and have fun.

David

PS: Fogging is fun until you go broke refilling the bottle from pushing the button all the time. As it's addictive, your next step will be forced induction so you can have nitrous power all the time. Just giving fair warning. :D

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
From all that I've read the stock 302 is supposed to be capable of handling 100 shot without any big problems.

Your transmission, drive shaft, rear end and tires have to be up to spec to handle the extra power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it rebuilt, i'm not entirely sure exactly what it has in it, the guy i bought it from said it was a completely stock gt engine

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking to have around 300hp at the wheels, but without breaking my rather small bank, i do have an msd ignition if thats any help...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I ran a 125 shot on a cast piston 302 for 12 - 13 years. I used a Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind to babysit the engine. It controls the nitrous flow start rpm, ramp rate, shut-off rpm, timing retard, rev limiter, monitors fuel flow, etc. But nitrous is a PITA having to get the bottle filled all the time. I'd get about eight good runs from a 10 lb bottle then spend $40 to refill, so basically every time I hit the button cost $5. If you get some friends together to split the cost on a big bottle to refill your smaller bottles you can do it fairly cheap.

Aftermarket ignition is the way to go and it's recommended that you do not use ignition points as they're not as acurrate timing-wise and the point bounce can cause spark when you don't want it.

One mine, when the nitrous system was armed the "Fasten Seatbelts" light on the dash would come on. LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Forged pistons make a bad tuner look good and cast pistons make a bad tuner look bad.

A good fuel supply and retarding the timing is a must if you want the engine to last. Plus cast pistons can only take so much abuse from running lean, detonation and high levels of nitrous.

Some get greedy and keep going 50, 75, 125, 175, 200, 275, 350 until boom on a stock motor.

If you keep the power low and keep it from over rev's cause nitrous makes the rpm's raise fast !! That's when a shift light is a must cause the needle on the tach is moving too fast to keep an eye on it.

It's easy to get hooked on the stuff. I've been running a 275 shot on my 302 with forged pistons and stronger oem late model rods and stock crank for over 15 years. She thinks she's a big block on the juice.

I also run a 36 shot on my dragbike and it feels like I'm shot out of a cannon.

I like being bottle feed !!

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
One mine, when the nitrous system was armed the "Fasten Seatbelts" light on the dash would come on. LOL
Ha! Now I know what I'm doing with one of the unused idiot lights in the dash. Thanks! :tup:

And although you need good books and homework (this thread cannot take the place of full knowledge), Jake is right that big power stresses engines, and RPMs do too. Exponentially. Add the two together and you have a bad story unless building for it. Don't get greedy without talking to your wallet. Learn to know the limits and how to control the stuff for reliability, whatever your combination is, as you can't have fun unless you're having fun. Broken stuff is not fun, especially when you could have avoided it.

Peace out!
David

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having some trouble finding the right system, i also want a new carb, anyone have suggestions for a good nitrous and carb combo? Links please :)

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Maybe others will suggest, but I won't. You are asking the wrong questions. Power adders have gotten a bad rap by guys trying stuff that strangers or advertisements or magazine articles suggest without knowing any more. The point is that you really need to learn about it so you can do it better, cheaper and safer. Once you know something about what you're doing and why, then you can answer your own questions or know the right ones to ask, and know it's the best stuff for you and your use, while staying in-budget and not blowing 5hit up. Not being an a**hole here - trying to help you get to your goal in one piece and have fun doing it. With engines, knowledge is power. Literally. Spend $15 on a book that will help you go faster, cheaper, and more reliably. Keep it in the bathroom where you'll read it. I'll step aside now.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here a link with a few pic's, just click on each pic for a price

Image Search Results for plate nitrous kits

I've been running an old plate Comucar one since the 90's

http://www.compucarnitrous.com/images/stories/products/holley50275hp.jpg

I run a NOS 4 foggers kit on my bike, so it depends which way you want to go. Plate system would be easier to install and adjust with only 2 jets to change.

I do recommend a stand alone electric fuel pump and fuel regulator for the nitrous kit. That way you can maintain and adjust your dynanic fuel pressure as needed, 7 psi, 6 psi etc.

Like other have said do your homework cause there's lots of good stuff to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts