Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my o2's however the car is still running very rich and eating my gas the computer codes are still coming up with lean condition. Does anyone have any help with this. I have heard the whole leak in the exhaust but there isnt one. I also have heard about replacing the fuseable link. Does anyone have any experiance with this, how to test it, how to replace it. Any other suggestions appreciated. thanks

1990 mustang 5.0

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Have you cleaned the "hot wire" in the MAF sensor...If it gets dirty, it will read the air flow incorrectly, which feeds the wrong information to the computer. The computer thinks the air flow is much lower than it is, cause dirt keep it from being in the air flow..

It can either be dirty, shorted out from being wet or broken.

Do not touch it to clean it, use some kind of spray cleaner/degreaser and let it dry. Then disconnect the computer for a few minutes (taking off the negative battery cable will work. Once the engine fires it will reset and start to lean the engine all over again.

There are several fusible links, the one that matters as far as the engine is concerned ... if it breaks, the engine don't start. Yours is running, so that pretty much takes that out of the mix. It terrible that some parts have a nisty habit of being blamed for stuff that is remotely related. Like they say, a little lern'in is a dangerous thing.

Check the MAF wire! If that isn't the problem, the check the throttle position sensor for correct voltages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 9/14/06 2:22am ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts