Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car ('70 mustang 302) has been pinging for several weeks. I have tried putting in every single spring combination in the msd distributor but it doesn't seem to make much difference. The timing is at 6 degrees and the only way i can run the car without pinging is if i eliminate the hose (vacuum line?) that runs from the distributor to the carb. Would running the car without the vacuum advance cause any sort of damage?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't tried using an allen wrench....do msd distributors have a place to adjust that? How much of a difference would putting lighter springs in the distributor (i have the heaviest springs on) make without the vacuum advance?

I HATE PINGING!

·
Registered
237 Posts
go to the archives and check out the article on setting your timing. I have the same problems as you have, i havent yet made the adjustments, but I read the article and it really fills you in on what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Vacuum advance is worthless on a high performance rig in my opinion. I haven't bought a vacuum advance distributor in 15 years. Unfortunatly, my pickup that I'm rebuilding has one so I may actually have to make that one work. This truck will be pulling my race car so the vaccum advance may come in handy for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts