Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i ripped out two sets or carpet and insulation from my ranchero to weld a radio plate in the dash and found some rust whats the best way to fix it there is only one spot that has rusted through my ideas are wire wheel and left over bed liner before i add sound deading insulation and carpet or will the bed liner get rid of the road noise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wire brush and wheel wont work i tried the carpet was held down with such a thick layer layer of glue that the wire wheel on my drill wont do much. can you think of another way to get the heavy crap off the floor?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Use a good heat gun, a scraper and a lot of elbow grease.

And if you don't mind, can you please start using some punctuation? Your posts are really hard to read.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If it is rusted through the only real way to fix that is to grind back until you hit clean steel on both sides of the rusted out zone. You may find that the area is thin beyond the hole. Cut out a patch area that extends to good, clean steel and weld the new patch in. If you don't do that the rust will come back.

Once you have the cancer removed and the patch in, welds smoothed down use somebody's rust inhibitor/binder to seal the bare metal. I use stuff that you brush or wipe on and it chemically reacts with metal to seal it from oxygen. It dries into a black, sandable, paintable primer. What I do on top of that depends on what I'm repairing.

I would try lacquer thinner, B12 carb cleaner or maybe aircraft paint remover on that gummy stuff and scrape it. Otherwise it will gum up your grinder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts