Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to start getting serious about working on my car again last night. It's a 4 door '67 LTD with a 289. But as I was jacking it up I realized that the frame was WAY worse than I had previously thought. I used a 12" long 4"x4" block to lift along the frame rail by the front passenger door and the jack just punched the wood 2" up into the frame. It pretty much just desintegrated until it hit solid metal somewhere. The car spent its first 35 years in Alaska so I guess this shouldn't come as much of a shock to me.

So here's the question, since the car has a generally good body and excellent interior should I try to replace or restore the frame? What options are there for donor frames? Or should I just give up and part the thing out because it has a lot of really great parts on it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
How much does the car mean to you? You could talk to some local speed shop guys and see about fabbing up a frame. Or, you could use it as a parts car for another '67. Why not talk to Mr. Fowler in Williams CA. He might be able to fix you up with something.

sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It kind of means a lot to by brother and me because we bought it when we were 13 and 15 (I'm 24 now) and we've owned it ever since, used it for prom, wedding getaway car, etc. But on the other hand I'm not sure I want to drop a bunch of money into this car when I could get something cool to work on instead. Who's Mr. Fowler in Williams, CA?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very impressive resto job on that frame but it was hard to tell from the article how much of that frame you built yourself, pretty much the whole thing? I was wondering myself about just trying to weld a frame for it because I have some friends with some welding talent and it's not like it needs to be a performance item or anything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mr. Fowler owns Big M auto and has 2 yards full of old Mercs and Fords.

sean

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL. Why is it always the big back seat Galaxie that gets driven on prom night, and why do so many folks cling ferociously to THAT CAR ever after? Always wondered about this

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-05-20 18:24, farmallmta wrote:
LOL. Why is it always the big back seat Galaxie that gets driven on prom night, and why do so many folks cling ferociously to THAT CAR ever after? Always wondered about this
You just have one heck of a time finding "park". After a while, You find it.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
You can't buy a man-sized car anywhere, for decent money...until you hit $50K and above. Even then they still all look alike.

Maybe that's why vintage 4-doors and station wagons are being seen more and more as street restored vehicles. They aren't restomods, Hot Rods or even mild customs. They may have bigger motors or other rod elements, but its not obvious. Cruis-rods might be a good term.

Clean, reliable and mostly stock - looking... maybe a little glitter and go under the hood, as long as its still reliable.

Good examples are the 4-door, hardtop station wagons that GM made in 56 - 58, or the 4-door hardtop galaxies and LTD's from the 60's. Even with 4-doors, they have style. Heck, they can be reliable enough to give to "MoM" as an everyday kid hauler. Bet you could put one together for 5 - 10 grand that'll do 100K miles with style.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
On 2006-05-20 16:33, smearig wrote:
That is a very impressive resto job on that frame but it was hard to tell from the article how much of that frame you built yourself, pretty much the whole thing? I was wondering myself about just trying to weld a frame for it because I have some friends with some welding talent and it's not like it needs to be a performance item or anything.
thanks- but I wouldnt call it restored, just trying to halt the rust, keep it around for a while.
I used the part from tranny support to front bumper including the top of one torque box, the rear crossmember that holds the coilsprings, and that was all that was salvageable. the torque boxes were cut from 3/16 plate, as were the rear arches- made a pattern offset for plasma cutter tip, used that to cut 2 long/2 short arches(inner stop short of rear bumper), boxed top and bottom with cut strips, couldnt find correct size for siderails, so got 2x4" 1/4 wall tubing for that. Think I still have a cad file for plotting for the rear arches if it would be any help to you. I'd never done much welding at all before, and when I started putting the first arch together it warped so bad it was almost funny. had to cut another and start over staggering welds...oops...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A CAD file would be great. I'm a civil engineer so I have access to all of the plotting equipment to make long patterns and I know my way around CAD pretty well since I use it about 8 hours per day. I think I might be in about the same position as you were in terms of being able to save most of everything in front of the torque boxes but the siderails definitely need to go.

And to all the prom commenters, all I can say is that you guys are pretty much right on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pulled another frame from down south on my '67 and swapped it. Was the least amount of grief. Many of the bushing etc were shot on the frame but was alot easier work. My suggestion.. shop around.
www.rogich.org for pic
Jerry

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
where are you currently located? maybe someone near you has an extra frame. jmho, matt
You must of done like i have a couple times. Searching through old posts and forget that I am doing so and post a reply. This one is from 2006. :) I wonder what he ended up doing though?

Deb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts