Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I know it was not live. I don't know when this auction actually happened but I saw a 65 Shelby GT350 barn find on Barrett Jackson last night. I have watched these auctions for years and I didn't understand what happened. Even a $20,000 car gets a lot of time spent trying to wring out the last penny. This 35 years in a barn Mustang came up and before the announcers even started talking about it, it was sold. I believe it started at $50,000 and in less than a minute, it was up to $350,000 and as soon as it hit $350,000 he slamed the gavel and said "SOLD SOLD SOLD". What happened so fast?
2. An interesting question they brought up, particularly with THIS car. IF you bought this Shelby, nice clean original barn find, would you restore it, put it back in storage, or make it drivable as is? At $350,000 might it hurt the value to take such an original car and restore it?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Everyone has a gemic to up their ratings or so. This was probably a setup deal.
Got lot of attention, didn't it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nice survivor leave it as is.....

This 1965 Shelby GT350 might technically not be one of the nicest Mustangs at Barrett-Jackson this year, but it might just be the most interesting. The car was recently found sitting dormant in a barn with just 44,000 miles and still contains all of its original parts including the sheet metal and glass. The current owner has refreshed it somewhat to make it drivable, and we hope the next owner keeps it this way as well.
Apparently there were several others at Barrett-Jackson (with considerable more money) who were also very intrigued by the car, as it reached a final bid of $350,000, making the final selling price $385,000.
Summary: An amazing barn find that was owned by its original owner until 2009. It has the numbers matching engine and drivetrain, original paint and interior with 44,000 original miles. The engine and transmission have been freshened and the car is very drivable.
Details: An amazing barn find that was owned by its original owner until 2009. It has complete documentation that includes a copy of the original sales agreement from Shelby American to Galpin Ford and shipped to Webster Ford in Caruthers, Calif., who sold it to the original owner on September 29, 1965. It has a California Pink Slip, the sales agreement between Webster Ford and the original owner and the California Black plates are still on the car. It has the original, matching numbers engine and drivetrain, original paint and interior with 44,000 original miles. All original sheet metal, glass and four wheels. The engine and transmission have been freshened and the car is very drivable. There is photo documentation of removing it from its resting place of many years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd leave it.
Something cool about being all original.
My parents have an 1918 model T my great grandfather bought new. My grandpa painted it in '67 for the centennial parade but beyond a few running repairs it's all original. When my brother or I inherit it we both agree it's going to stay that way as long as we can.

A local collector has a yearly car show, he collects cadillacs. He as barn find '25 caddy. Left unrestored but running. He says even the cigarette buts in the ash tray were smoked before world war II. Calls it his chicken coupe de ville.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I'd leave it.
Something cool about being all original.
My parents have an 1918 model T my great grandfather bought new. My grandpa painted it in '67 for the centennial parade but beyond a few running repairs it's all original. When my brother or I inherit it we both agree it's going to stay that way as long as we can.

A local collector has a yearly car show, he collects cadillacs. He as barn find '25 caddy. Left unrestored but running. He says even the cigarette buts in the ash tray were smoked before world war II. Calls it his chicken coupe de ville.

Here it is last year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I picked up a 09 mustang identical to my 06(love that car). Never registered, flatbedded from Michigan, up to a whopping 4.8 miles now from moving around once in a while over the last 4 years.
No Shelby, just a zero option base gt stick, with the employee pricing, new model coming out, was cheaper than the 06, doubt there will ever be a V8 mustang new available in that price range again, figured get it while I could. Wether it was a stupid 'investment' money wise or not will remain to be seen, but as a 'fun car' investment, it made sense to me... The 06 won't last forever, neither will I, but if I outlast the 06, got a new mustang cheaper than a current new one- and in my second favorite body style...if the 06 outlasts me, the kids can fight over it, or get most of the price back at auction in a few years...

Did see a UNDRIVEN tbird on Barrett Jackson, that guy took a beating, think the car cost like 30, sold for about 18... After more years, maybe the numbers would be different, but who knows. I didn't get mine hoping to sell it, but hoping to have another new mustang someday down the road, and as pricey as they are now, no way would I think of buying another one today...think new gts are around 31 now base- way out of its market in my opinion, although they are getting pretty fancy for a mustang.

I bet there's 1000 UNDRIVEN late model Shelby's squirreled away by speculators hoping to flip them for a huge profit in a few years- hope they all lose their butts like the tbird guy did....bet I'm the only one stupid enough to buy a zero option base mustang and hide it away for later... But not hoping to flip it, just hoping to outlive my 06, and be able to try again...that 06 is still as fun to drive as the day I picked it up. Love that car. I drove a buddies gt500, yes it's fast as heck, but I enjoy my comparatively cheap cloth seat base mustang...nothin fancy, but found my dream car :)

7 years old last week, still a absolute ball to drive, hope its still running in 20 yrs- by then the 09 will need work, but should still be a nice car with little needed to make it good as new again...heck, if I'm still kickin, I might not even be driving- wouldnt that be ironic :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts