Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I've got a really nice York A/C setup on the 63 Galaxie that works very well. But, I've got this horrable sound and vibration that comes from idling in gear at around 700 rpm. I put a A/C solenoid on it to boost rpm and it's working well but it still agravates me that I have to go to that high an RPM for the compressor to be smooth. I've listened to other Galaxies with York compressors and mine isn't any different.
Does a Sanden A/C compressor make less noise and vibration at slower rpm than the York does and still deliver good cooling. Also, is the 508 too small for a 63 Galaxie with a black interior, if so, is the 709 big enough. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The sanden is much quieter. Check with classic auto air for retro fit kit.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hooking up a 506 on my 68 F250 this week. I have it mounted, Just have to get a shorter belt and do the hoses. I will let you know. This winter I bought 4 Sanden Compressors for 100!. Going to retro fit the Galaxie the F250 a 65 Mustang and 67 Cougar. The mounting bracket cost me more than the compressors.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That's an old problem with York compressiors. But the problem is the belt is not tight enough. You have to be able to play "Hi C" on the belt to eliminate the noise. Not one of Ford's better ideas. That's why they went to a different style of compressior drive with an idler pulley starting in 64 and later.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's an old problem with York compressiors. But the problem is the belt is not tight enough. You have to be able to play "Hi C" on the belt to eliminate the noise. Not one of Ford's better ideas. That's why they went to a different style of compressior drive with an idler pulley starting in 64 and later.
My outfit has an idler pully also. I will try tightening up the belt some and see what happens. I have it tightened pretty good but not at hi C level. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts

I have two idlers left from my rebuild. I have not setup the AC yet. I assumed both of them were for that. Yes?No?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Puttster,
My outfit has one plate that goes across the front of the motor which includes the compressor pad and one idler pully. I don't know what it's off of. I bought it off Ebay because it came complete. Here is a picture of the one idler pully arrangement. Jim
Edit: The altenator adjustment arm comes off this AC plate also.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Sandens are going to be smoother and take less power than the old reciprocating York no matter what, and at least the 709 will be more effective too, so if you've got the time and the parts and you're not concerned about originality it's worth doing.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
JimNolan, That's an after market bracket. It's like the ones I like to use. ARA, Fridge King or simular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts