Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Ordered a set of these for my '67 LTD and they arrived last week. Drivers side is in and seems ok, required lifting the engine and removing the PS pump to install. Passenger side one slips right in, but won't drop down enough to bolt up as it is hitting the back of the crossmember. I kind of feel like an idiot bc I saw a posting from '09 on here that someone else had this same issue. Emailed the company a link to that thread and they said either he had the wrong mounts on the car or they were settled enough that it caused the issue...

Guess what they are telling me is the problem on mine.... When I called them this morning, the lady that answered said it was likely bc I was trying to install them on a '67 LTD instead of a '67 Galaxie.... :rolleyes: Tech finally got back after I sent a second email with pictures. Said the metal part of the mounts looks correct, can't tell on the rubber "but it looks like it is sitting too low in the chassis".

So, here are a few pictures of where things are. Wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion regarding if the engine is sitting too low. I noticed where they bolt to the frame perch that there appears to be some adjustment as it is a vertical slot. I'm a bit skeptical that was meant for adjusting the height of the engine, seems to me it's just for ease of getting the bolts in the mounts. He seemed to suggest that there is some adjustment in the mounts, said I would either need to adjust them, replace them or shim the mounts to make the header fit.

A couple of pictures from under the car, about an inch or so from bolting up, but you can clearly see the #1 tube is on the frame and won't let it drop down:

Passenger side motor mount:

I'm open to ideas or suggestions. None of the parts stores have mounts on the shelf or I would have picked a set up to at least make a comparison. I know I could lift the pass side to get it bolted up, that would bring the tube down a bit, but I don't see how it's not going to still hit the CM.

I'm thinking now, that I should have just paid the extra $300 and went with the FPA headers.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was it something I said?? :D

Anyway, had a lot of time to think on this, and based on what I am seeing looking at these, the headers I pulled out of the car and the FPA headers I'm just thinking these are not designed right. I could dimple the header, I could notch the crossmember, but I don't think I should need to when I know from hearing from others there are other choices that fit better.

Going to send these back to CA in the morning, wait and see how much of my money I get back and then fork over the $$ for the FPA headers. Unlike the Sandersons, everything I hear about the FPA headers is good. I can't really find anything on the net about anyone having any luck with the Sanderson 65 and up ones, guess I should have known better then to chance it.

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
FM, I have a 65 and am whtching this tread but if you have a 289 what fits for you might not fit for me.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I had the same problems installing the 391's on my 65 Galaxie 352. I had to add some washers motor mounts to lift the engine a bit. I also had to "trim" the crossmember on the passenger side. Not an easy job with the engine in the car. The motor mounts available are made cheaply in all the suspected countries and have morphed in shape some over the decades. I also had to trim the backside of the motor mount on the drivers side. Space is needed engine movement also. I have had two sets on my car. First set cracked on one of the tubes on the drivers side and also burned out the "diamond" weld in the center of the collector where the tubes are joined. Second set came bare as I ordered them. Found that one of the tubes had been on the tubing cutter machine before being bent up for fitment. The cut didn't go through but was very easy to see. Also the set was wire-wheeled very coarsely and it looked like they were covering up some scratches or damage. Makes me wonder what can be covered up with ceramic coatings. It also burned out the same "diamond" weld but on the passenger side this time. Along with the silicone burning out about every 4000 miles and causing those annoying and embarrassing leaks, I have a set coming from FPA. Should be here next week. Between the two sets of Sanderson's and now the FPA's, the work I did and will do and the cost from the muffler shop to hook up the header pipes, this has been very expensive. That said I have a set of the Sanderson's on a 57 Tbird which went together very easily without problems so far but have only a few hundred miles on the new motor.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Puttster: I have a 390, so same as your 352. I have a feeling when I put the FPA headers on there will be no issues. Only time will tell.

Hardcore: Your thread was actually the one I saw before buying these. Sent the link to Sanderson and they said the same thing as they are saying about mine. The mounts are not stock or they have settled a lot. They are an inch from clearing and I'd like an inch of clearance, so I can't see jacking things up 2" from where they are now. After I had the issues I found a few other negatives here and there on the net. Funny thing is as I look at the 64 headers, the pass side looks like it would fit, only issue is it looks like the collector might be turning towards the frame if used in a 65-68. There is a ton of room on that side, they could have just turned them down near the 4th port like every other 65-68 FE header I've seen pictures of and everything would have worked.

Seems like they have a good rep with some headers and others not so much. Learned my lesson I guess, shoulda known better. If I had a lift I'd be putting the Hooker headers on, don't think it's worth the trouble for a car that will be all street driven though.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's been way to long, but here is an update on this. Finally got in touch with some one @ Century Performance who is a distributor for Sanderson and turns out he was the person who I was emailing back and forth with on the Sanderson Tech support page (guess he does all the website and tech support for both companies).

Long and short is, he basically insisted that the issue was because I was trying to install these headers (FF-391) on a '67 LTD and not on a '67 Galaxie. He told me the whole front end of the LTD is different (Fenders, hood, frame, crossmember....), but then said they should have worked but the engine is sitting too low..... Wasn't going to argue with him... They did offer to rework the passenger side header if I sent them the pass side long tube header I pulled off that side and paid an extra $200. That would have put me about $50 short of what the coated FPA's cost, so I declined and asked for my money back. That whole process took about 2-3 and three calls, but I finally got my refund and ordered the FPA's this morning.

Sounds like 2-3 weeks on those, so it's likely going to be September before I can get the exhaust system done, partially my fault as I've been very busy and it's been hard to juggle calling them and keeping the process moving with everything else that is happening. Hopefully in a few weeks I can post a few nice pictures with shiny new headers on both sides of the 390.

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Money back? You are one persistent dude, Greg. I have a feeling you will be successful in the end.
Tom

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did forget the part where I shipped the FF-391's back to Sanderson, I didn't get to keep them and receive a refund. Lost out on the shipping both ways, but the coating took a beating on one of them trying to get it installed, so I'm happy with the end result.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Just to update my troubles with the Sanderson's. I dumped the second set after the center weld burned out at the collector again and the sealing on the heads was bad. I was the one who made the post about the crossmember problem on the passenger side. The explanation that there is a difference in the front suspension/frame crossmember on a LTD as opposed to a 500 is suspicious. The LTD option was mainly an interior upgrade. I have ceramic coated FPA headers now and with a couple thousand miles not problems at all. The flanges use a gasket supplied by FPA and seal well. No modifications needed. I did need to trim the passenger side A arm at the rear next to the header but my car is lowered and the arm is positioned inboard to get the correct wheel alignment. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Hard, how much are you lowered? eg, distance from torquebox/frame behind wheel to the deck?

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JThe explanation that there is a difference in the front suspension/frame crossmember on a LTD as opposed to a 500 is suspicious. The LTD option was mainly an interior upgrade.
Yea, I told him I knew there was no difference between the Galaxie and LTD frame, suspension and crossmember in '67 as I had just replaced all the suspension components on the front end the year before, and I've owned both a Galaxie 500 and an LTD, but he insisted I was wrong.... Like I said I wasn't going to waste my time arguing with him.

Glad to hear the FPA's went in easy and seal up good. I guess in the end this is one of those "you get what you pay for moments". Just wish I could have wrapped things up with Sanderson/Century about 3-4 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Lowering dimensions

Putt,

I measure 5 1/2 inches from the torque box/frame and 23 1/2 inches from the fender lip to the floor measured at the wheel center cap on the front. 20 1/2 inches from the fender lip to the floor on the back. I have 79 Tbird disc brakes in the front. Got them from Sleepy Sal.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Hard, you are where I want mine to be. It's at 6 1/2" now. I wonder what that height was originally? I am afraid to get new springs because they all seem to be taller than folks figure!

Mine are 25" and 22" measured above the wheel hubs.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on this. The FPA headers arrived on Wednesday and went in on Saturday. No issues they went right in and cleared everything fine. Big difference in the way the passenger side header is designed.

Sanderson's Passenger side header:

FPA's Passenger side header:

Once I get the correct drivers side brake hose from Kanter (got shipped two passenger side hoses :frown:). I can get the new MC bleed, bleed all the brakes and then she's heading out for exhaust. Then it's on to the next caper as JC would say. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.