Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys,

I know some of you have seen my posts where I talk about the circle track car my dad races. I've actually used a lot of what I've learned from dirt racing and applied it to various of my Mustangs in the past...with some real success.

Anyhow, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.swdra.com/images/9-23_Heat-2.mpg

It's my dad's heat race this past weekend, second time out with the new car (thus the lack of graphics and sponsorship stickers). The motor's a 14.5:1 compression 429ci SBC, with cnc ported Brodix/Oldsmobile 14dgr heads. Dart steel block (the aluminum one had a rod tossed through it =/ ). Cam's a relatively mild solid roller with I believe 296/306dur .667/.650"...with a 108LSA. With the changes we've made since this motor was dynoed we're guessing in the range of 950hp at 8000rpm or so. Roller cam bearings, shaft rockers, etc. Ours is actually a very inexpensive motor for our class...many people are spending in the range of 30k on a motor (they have more than one too lol...if only...). Ours is well below half that.

Anyhow...the guy behind him the whole race is the guy who sold him the chassis he's racing now (he bought a new and better one of course...another addition to his 3 car hauler lol). Our old chassis got tin canned due to a front right upper control arm failure, and a wall. Shoulda seen the guys face when he caught us in the pits after the heat lol...priceless. In our old car we were top 5-7 on average. I think with this car we'll be winning races with some consistency...all on a budget that would choke a field mouse =p. Just to clarify, this is an unlimited class, with no claimer rule. There are guidelines, and they're pretty much enforced, but mostly it's run what you brung, and hope you brung better than everyone else =). Some of the motors out there are well over 1000hp....but it's all about getting it to the track, and hoping the track lasts the whole race. Back east these cars race for 100,000$ a race on occasion, and on at least one event I know of, for 1,000,000$. We make 1000$ for a win lol.

Anyways, just thought you guys might think this was sorta cool. A little fresh air from the drag racing we all live and breathe most of the time lol.

Cris

Oh by the way, if you would like to see the main even from Saturday night, it's at the link below. Click 'main' in the lower right portion. We started 8th and finished 3rd...but the track was going away and by the time we were in position for any passing in the top 3, it was a one lane deal.

http://www.swdra.com/videos.html

EDIT

We're the blue car in the front lol, #94!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 9/27/06 7:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish it was Ford powered, so does my dad. But our original sponsor that we inherited this all from years ago ran SBC...it's too expensive to resetup everything Ford...not because of any price difference, but to change everything to adapt to it etc. Plus, the majority of racers in our class run SBC, which makes replacing broken parts at the track much easier =/. If I ever win the lottery he'll be running Ford for sure =).

Cris

·
Registered
991 Posts
grew up on 1/4 mile clay oval running spectators and late models with my dad. Ahh the memories

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Chevy powered or not, I enjoyed seeing you dad's LM run more than any drag car..
As quite a few long timers know, I'm a circle track broad and have been since 1968. After taking a sabattical from racing since the end of the '96 season, I've got a pair of old eastern DIRT modifieds I'm working on for the vintage circuit.

BTW, if you hit the lotto and want to buy your dad a little something, Jack Cornett down in Somerset, KY builds some killer Ford oval track mills...

Jan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts