Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
Thanks for the update tim! Glad he is doing better now and hope he remains on improvement track.

I am thinking once we all turn 50, it's the magic age for everything, you know you're 50 you need this and you need that and quit doing that. And the older you get the less helpful the medical side of things seem to get. They like to say "you're 50 now" like that's the answer to everything. Took me 6 or 7 months to get the nerve up to go to a doc because of numbness in my left hand, side, leg and foot. First time ever going to this doc for anything other than routine stuff. He said to make it brief, it's your age, degeneration and weight and gave me a wrist brace for carpal tunnel. Oh and smiling he tells me there is nothing in my spine that would cause numbness. errr So that got me no where and he is older than i am, over weight and why doesn't he have this problem? He did ask bout bone density scan which i told him yes i had one and i'm above avg for my age. So i procrastinate another almost year cause i just know i'll be hearing the same thing again and i hate docs anyway and alot of it is for that reason. If i go see a doc it's not cause i want pain meds or am a hypochondriac. Finally get new doc, he does tests and by this time it's both hands and feet and just noticed last night the skin on my right side is numb also. This doc listened, sent me to neurology. I did get the awful nerve testing done which after the MRI wasn't needed. I have a really slight case of carpal t. What the problem was is 2 herniated disks in my neck and a spinal chord injury i didn't know i had. The disks were removed but because of the time and the spinal chord injury the surgeon can't tell me if i'll ever have the feeling back. I also believe part of the problem with getting a doc to listen is i had no pain but told them about the funny bone felling from finger tips to toes sometimes. It will be nice if feeling comes back but was told that the disks were causing such a blockage and pressing on the spinal chord also that all i needed to do was fall or get my head whipped back and i could of been paralyzed from the neck down. This is why he had me in surgery in 3 weeks after finding out the issue.

Now for the funny kinda part. I was asked if i'd been in any car accidents or anything and i said a couple but nothing that caused any pain except in my knee. The only neck thing i can think of is when i rammed the top of my own head into the windshield frame of the shotrod. I bout knocked myself out, things went black for a bit and took me bout 3 months to be able to lay my head down without getting my pillow just right. And it really never was totally normal again. So that's where i think the spinal chord thing came in but is only a guess. I was putting the gauge cluster back in and dropped a screw, i had one leg outside the car with the door open so just bent over to pick up the screw on the floor and BAM! Dingy me, who needs a moving automobile to hit the windshield, not me! lol

End of the month another MRI to be sure that there is no compression on the nerves and keeping fingers crossed cause i don't want surgery again and this time through the back of the neck. I have never taken any of my pain meds for any surgery or tooth extraction beyond tylenol til this neck thing and it really is a pain in the neck. Oh yeah and the doc said part of the problem was the muscles having to stretch because i'm a 1/2" or so taller now with the disk replacement things. Ever see Land Before Time? I'm a long neck! lol My first thought when doc told me!

Sorry bout the highjack! But got off on a tangent bout docs and good care. Thankfully Don has you and others to look out for him and get him what he needs! The elderly people out there can use a lot of people like you on their side the way things seem to be now. All how much they can bill for what and not an iota of consideration for the patient.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Well, today Ben's brother Don hung up his car keys... 2 cars in 2 weeks bent up, both with blown out rear windows, due to numb legs/feet unable to find a brake pedal. His Buick he backed into a tree by his driveway, wrinkled up enough i'm certain its totalled, his Windstar, a car at the grocery store, just bent the hatch, easy fix but bad enough...
I remember the day Ben bumped into someone in the Burger king drivethru, went home and hung up his keys...was only a couple months before we lost him. Ben was only 76 when he gave up driving, Don is 89 now- but I know its a heartbreaking decision, and know both were just lucky and glad they didnt hurt anyone.

We'll all be there someday if we are blessed with longevity, but gotta say, I wish we did start having mandatory driving tests- maybe after any major medical issues, as I know both Ben and Don were excellent drivers prior to their heart attacks/hospital stays...sadly rehabilitation cant protect them from hurting themselves or someone else if their tired bodies or delayed reaction times simply cant do it anymore.
I know though that loss of ability/freedom/independence/whatever you want to call it is really a heartbreaker to older folks... 'it is what it is' as they say- but I really think as medical releases often say 'no driving for x amount of weeks/months', that THAT would be the time to retest abilities- I wouldnt like it much, but would understand...

I called him this morning to see if he needed anything picked up, "No Tim, I HAVE to start doing some things for myself"... a couple hours later he called me upset, told me what happened... just hope this dont get him down too much, as he is just getting better after months of medical stuff. main thing, nobody got hurt physically- but I know hes bummed out worse than Ive ever seen him.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
little upbeat story on my buddy Don... he is still medically having some challenges, but he turned 90 saturday... yesterday he was talking to me about one of his best friends in the Navy, they went from boot camp then were assigned on Enterprise thru the end of the war together, 4 others in his 'group' were all older and werent that close...Don took care of dive bombers (SB2C?) his buddy Russ Hayden took care of fighters (hellcat?) my memory sucks, but think thats what the planes were...

anyway messing around did a little internet searching tonight, from his hometown... a few cross references partially obscured by not having 'paid membership' on the lookup sites found some old/new partial address, then a city yellow pages lookup- first phone call found his old friend in Idaho (he's 'only' 88) and took a few minutes to explain why I was calling, then it clicked- heck yes he remembered Don, even though they hadnt spoke in almost 70 years :)
Stopped over and dialed/passed the phone to Don, they talked like a hour - just thought that was cool as heck, sounded like it made both of their days :)

When I talked to Mr Hayden, it didnt dawn on me to ask if he knew JCAllisons uncle Christian Fink- Don didnt know him, but he didnt take care of fighters either... I'll have to send him a note and ask :)

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
:(

well, Don is no longer with us, lost his battle with cancer this morning. spent a couple hours with him last night he couldnt see or talk but listened intently...describing all the things we saw out west last week, he would just do the one for yes,two for no hand squeeze communication...told him how our 6 yr old was tired of riding across the desert towards 4 corners NM, my wife tried ti get him playing 'i spy'... i spy with my little eye- what do you see Bill?
"I SEE NO FUN!" was little Bill's answer- he just wanted the drive to be done- Don managed a chuckle from that one...

Sure was fortunate to have had the older friends Ive had the past 20 yrs...they dont make them like that anymore. truly the greatest generation.

like my oldest son told me, he was more of a grandfather to my kids than my Dad ever was...we saw my Dad last week in Colorado, yes he's my Dad, but truth be told he left wives, kids, jobs, homes, you name it, scattered behind all his life...the only thing important to him is still cigarettes and alcohol, and now his body and mind are gone from it...sad how some throw away so much of their lives, dunno if he even realizes what he missed out on.

Don was opposite, he worked hard, took care of his parents, siblings, time with friends and family were important to him...he didnt like WWII, but was proud he did a little to help, and he and Ben both were pretty disgusted with todays 'leadership'...everything they fought for was being looted by short-sighted, self serving politicians, made them both sad how so many Americans just dont care anymore, long as they get their free stuff, no incentive to better themselves, no reason to work hard- back in the day everyone pulled together, did all they could to dig out of the near depression after the war...if it ever happens again, not much chance of recovery unless the government spends their way out again. things sound backwards.

Don was a Ford man for a long time, but think his last new ford was a 70, I knew that car, as his little brother was my neighbor when I was about 12- we rode in that car with his nephews a couple times... it rotted out at 2 yrs old, he never bought another Ford... but had a string of new chryslers. his favorite was a 64 tbird, said he traded it in on the 70, was worst auto mistake he ever made...we restored his 68 cub cadet tractor, had things gone differently were hoping to get his 68 honda ca160 running this summer, only has 300 miles on it, he parked it in his garage over 40 yrs ago, its a museum piece, needs cleaned up...just wasnt in the cards.

good news was he accepted Christ a few weeks ago- he was in 'healthy' condition, just couldnt get around much due to pain, but ever since, he'd been at peace, knowing where he was going, and that we'd see each other again someday...

still hard to let go...losing a friend is never easy

·
Registered
406 Posts
God Speed to a great man as you speak of him. What other people think of you is ultimately all that's left when you're gone. He had truly inspired you. I hope your kids emulate the greatest generation. Lord know's we've screwed it up pretty well.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
timlilje, hey your from my hometown :) last time i visited there was 1990...

noticed something kinda sad- we were out at western reserve for Ben's funeral in '04, took this picture:

heres the same pic ten years later- the Gal hasnt changed much, but look at the background:

man has that place filled up... acres and acres and acres have been added, its a beautiful place, but filling all too fast...

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hard to believe its been ten years ago tonight that we lost old friend and neighbor Ben... cant believe a decade has flown by already.

his old Gal is still running great- I hadnt changed the points since Sept '02, the old Autolites served well, but were pretty much done- quality points are kinda hard to find anymore, went ahead and swapped it over to a Accel version of the Pertronix setup- she starts and idles better than ever- amazing how fast it starts, barely cranks at all... good stuff, think Ben woulda been impressed :)

Bens brother Don was also one of my dearest friends, we lost him in July- he was 90, guess all in all he had a pretty good run... sure miss those old guys though, they were more like fathers than friends...sure glad my kids got to know them, folks from that generation are few and far between anymore :(

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
11 yrs today we lost old Ben, man how the time flies...

I moved the LTD off the lift yesterday so my son could change the oil in his Ranger, got to thinking again - I put that battery in in Sept of 2002, never ever had a battery go 13 years... think I only drove the car twice this year, to the cemetery and then the drive-in once, and drove it to work on its 50th birthday, still runs good, and the garage has been kind to it, hasnt really aged much this past decade, but do need to repaint the exhaust manifolds and pipes...used POR manifold gray on them in 03, its pretty much gone now, replaced by light surface rust...still havent had it out in the rain since re-doing in 2003/4, so the underside hasnt changed at all... supposed to be nice this week again (crazy- last year we had a foot of snow, and this yr it was 71 just two days ago) might get it out to the cemetery again this yr at least one more time...only thing Ben asked was that we might bring it out there once in a while after he was gone...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my beautiful wife really wanted to comment after reading it today:

"I loved the story. What a great intention and hard work on your part for another person. It was a joy to read, I really hope others get inspired by your kindness! I bet your neighbor was blown away! Great job and great story!" - Mrs. Vankaye

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm sure your neighbor would be happy the car is in good hands :)

Cheers
thanks- just a old ford, but it gets babied more than all but one other car here- the one thats still not ever been driven, our 09 mustang...

I know this is an old thread but my beautiful wife really wanted to comment after reading it today:

"I loved the story. What a great intention and hard work on your part for another person. It was a joy to read, I really hope others get inspired by your kindness! I bet your neighbor was blown away! Great job and great story!" - Mrs. Vankaye
thanks Mrs. Vankaye :) I had three of the coolest neighbors ever, was luckiest guy in the world moving into that neighborhood- great folks all around... when Ben was sick, I got to be great friends with his brother Don- when he died last year two of my sons said to me he was more of a grandpa than my dad ever tried to be(my Dad lives 1500 miles away, and sadly-usually in a bar)...sure glad my kids got to know some of these older folks, and learn a little from them...they dont make them like that anymore...we were ALL blown away by their kindness all those years too.
one of my best memories ever- last yr got Don out of the nursing home to come over and watch the super bowl...didnt even turn the tv on, instead my 6 yr old sat on his lap reading a kids book to him about sharks of all things...sounds so silly, but was really a sight to see.
time spent with elderly folks is special to the young, and very reciprocal too. sad that generation is fading fast. my next oldest son(17) is becoming good friends with one of our church elders, a great guy, hoping he might help Mike find some direction...hes at that awkward stage where hes not sure what he wants to do, is a bit overconfident in his ablities, etc...hoping a little outside help will help him figure some stuff out...I try, but am kinda mired down in a 'learn everything/fix everything/always have a job' mentality that he just dont have the knack or interest for...my 19 yr old is doing great, he took a lot of Don's advice to heart, has been very responsible, has been working at the shop with me for a few yrs- the past yr pretty muh on his own as a machinist, learning the trades, and doing a exceptional job- but he didnt enjoy it... hes doing machine maintenance now, likes it better, will likely get into machine tool building if he wants to...but he might still decide to be a cop...hes a great kid.
whatever they find, I just hope and pray they find something they really enjoy, and its challenging enough to keep their interest...Ive been at the same shop like 35 yrs now, something different everyday, lots of challenges to say the least...hired in patching roofs/sweeping floors, wound up in Japan installing robotic loaded wheel lines we built- how the heck did that happen? my 16 yr old I think will be the 'engineer' of the group- he gets more stupid ideas than I do :) the other two, I dunno- but hope they find their niche eventually... and sure the advice of some old friends will be helping guide them too :)

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
havent done ANYTHING but fuel/lube to the galaxie in a long time, tonight finally ordered a power master cylinder for her... never did replace the one rear brake hose yet, so will get after that too.
needs better pedal feel(takes a heavy foot as-is), hope this gets it more inline with the feather-light steering...been 12 yrs, even if only 1000 miles or so, should pull the brakes and inspect at least too... really afraid to let anyone else drive it as-is, saw Ben's granddaughter is engaged/getting married this summer, maybe get it more 'normal' to drive and let it take them from the church or something...think Be would like that, really need to get the front seat reupholstered though, its just got a cover on it currently...

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Ben's old galaxie turned 51 today. got the battery charger on her- looks like 14 years *might* be the limit for that battery i put in back in 2002...

a week ago put in a electronic voltage regulator, lights finally quit flickering...washed/vacuumed out monday, had the doors open about a hour, and she wouldnt start...shoulda knew better, think shes got eight interior light bulbs... put charger on a few minutes, she turned over and started right up, let it run to fully charge. Wed tried starting, click... running the old battery dead probably killed it permanently, but just for the heck of it, put the desulfating charger on just to see if she'll hold a charge after...

wondering if the flickering voltage regulator could have anything to do with the battery lasting so long- maybe the flicker was kinda acting like a desulfating charger- as i understand it, it pulses the battery and knocks off sulfation... really odd thing is the car could sit 2 months and start right up after cranking a good 15 seconds- till i ran it down, it always held a charge fine, 14 yrs is a record for me...wondering now if the old regulator mighta been overcharging/pulsed overcharging enough to keep the battery extremely happy...the new one holds a nice steady voltage but a couple tenths lower than the old blinky one...

did get rear brake hose swapped finally, and put a power brake booster back on her, got a light pedal now... Ben's granddaughter is getting married in a month, offered Ben's car to drive to/away from the reception if she wanted, she liked that (know Ben woulda too). will replace the battery and go thru the carb, has a stumble when cold as if the accel squirters arent doing their thing- one clogged up a few yrs ago, guessing crud from ethanol gas corrosion, i cleaned the float bowl and blew all the passages out, ran like new- acting same way again... pretty sure a cleaning will fix her back up again...
heres a picture from a year ago today, on her 50th 'birthday', was a nice sunny day and cherry blossoms were blooming- something someone commented and I agree with- think shes still a 'stately' old thing, even if just a plain jane LTD... today its cold/kinda bleak out there...
50 by tc429, on Flickr
50-2 by tc429, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Tim,
HBDTY,
HBDTY,
HBDDBen's Gal,
HBDTY.
AMM!

JC
funny, couldnt 'read' that without singing in my head- and oddly cant help but hear it in Ben's voice... I do remember him calling it 'the old Fordy' to his daughter...always thought it was a kinda funny thing to call the old thing, but now HBDDFordy seems to keep popping in my head...
thanks JC.

BTW, the 14 yr old battery charged fine with the desulfating charger, said 100% too... AND started her up the next day...hoping the short duration 'dead' time didnt ruin it, gonna replace it for that upcoming wedding day stint, but might just put it back and see just how long a battery can last... i do still wonder if the flickering/slightly pulsed overcharging could be why its lasted so long...even starting up mid winter, it would crank 30+ seconds easily, long as needed to fire up- never ever had a battery last like this.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
waiting for paint to dry- prime, block, fill, block, prime... my arms about ready to fall off already this morning... next Sat is the wedding, so kinda gotta get-er-done...
last week, put a THIRD set of drums on- bought the 'centric' ones at $47 apiece at Summit- THEY ARE ACTUALY ROUND!!! yay, niiiice brakes finally, no worries about anyone driving her- AND by losing the treadle linkage, know she'll stop without vacuum assist easily.
Really disgusting how out of round the first two sets of drums were- they shouldnt even be able to sell that junk- the 'centric' ones sure look identical, except a coat of paint and a fancy box- I wonder if the 20.00 extra was just for the box- maybe as the boxes were square instead of thin/bent up, they are more careful shipping? seriously wonder if the first four had just been banded/dropped/etc to make them wobble like they did- i checked the second set before installing, .022 radial, .040 lateral runout...recut them in my lathe, knowing the radius mismatch would make pedal a little spongy, and they still had a pulsation...rechecked and found the lug holes were not true to the bore by like 5 and 10 thou- they appeared to be punched, not drilled as no tool feedlines/sharp edges. the centrics looked similar, i chamferred the inside corner of the lug holes with a deburr knife to help make sure studs funneled in square, they went on easy
Anyways, time to go sand a quarter panel again... hoping to get basecoat at least on by this evening to get a idea of paint match- PPG now lists two mixes for Caspian blue poly- the old books it appears the other was for mustang, but theres conflicting notes on it...the chip for mustang is a tiny bit lighter, and note said use for repainting cars originally painted with enamel- but i thought ALL fords back then were enamel?
then theres some stitching pulling loose in the rear seat,(front is wasted- has a cover on it) that needs fixed before it pulls apart, cleaning, etc...hoping to have time to wetsand polish the quarter before next weekend, as certainly will have some dirt in the clear...we'll see

hoping she can get a pic like this 1965 ad(often wondered if maybe Ben saw this ad and ordered his in the same config?), with her and hubby in back, her parents driving- last time her mom drove the car woulda been around 1978!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 60 Posts