Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
first coat of base- poof, lights out... musta burnt a wire off in a branch as no breakers tripped... have ran that compressor countless hours, today NFG... had to run extension cords from other garage to finish base- hopefully can check color in a bit, put on some clear.

i'm gonna have to rewire this whole house- had a basement circuit burn off in the wall 5 yrs ago, they had backwired all the outlets, one burnt, killed a bunch...started pulling box covers off to look at wiring, second one i touched literally blew up- here it had burned inside the wall probably a decade or so ago from looks of the corrosion, lucky it didnt burn the house down...whoever the genius was that came up with the push-in/backwiring of outlets and switches should be shot. this house was heavily wired, but they cheeped out on time, gonna need to replace every outlet and switch in here...4 sets of three way switches, dont even want to open those boxes of spaghetti...i'd never seen three switch circuits before, 8 wires per switch- yuck.
well, time to look at color...

edit- power issue ended up just a bad circuit breaker, opened up internally wouldnt reset...

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
disappointed as much with this as I was happy with the wifes avalanche fix...
color is way dark, and its still almost as wavy as it was...

at least the cracked/peeling eggshell look and the holey gas door are gone (BTW- found a sedan gas filler is 3/8" longer than a hardtop- silly huh? had to cut 3/8" out weld/fill) - but color is way dark, looks about as bad as it did...

will get it wetsanded mon/tues, and hopefully it will look a little better, but its still bad.

making excuses, but theres a lot of bondo in that panel- back in '78 when Ben had quarters 'repaired' the shop stuck a half panel right over the rusty original, and slathered mud over the braze warpage... the passenger side was absolutely terrible looking, I redid it on '04, its presentable still, but paint is a little darker- the drivers side was wavy as heck too, but not half as bad as the passenger was- but I sure didnt straighten it out much... theres about 1/4" gap between panels, so you can imagine the amount of filler they had to use in there. color is way, way off... but it is what it is...

heres a couple pics of the 04 results on the pass side, and todays drivers side 'dissapoint-mint'. I did take several pics of the crazed/curled/peeling drivers side before sanding all the paint off, but somehow my phone has a 3 day gap of missing files now...its never done that before. added a pic of the inside- back in 04 I was able to chop out the original rusty quarter lower section without disturbing the outside- the gap between panels is 3/8-1/2" towards the front...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi ford4v429,

I feel your pain. Working on an old car on a limited budget is like going to court; sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. But you're trying and should be happy about that and there is some progress as your fuel filler door looks great :)

I had no idea their was difference in fuel doors between the sedan and hardtop, but then again that shouldn't really be a surprise as I learned there's a difference in the trunk lid between a sedan and a hardtop and the little micro fin of a body line on the top rear quarters is different too. I often wonder why the subtle difference when 99.9% of the general populous wouldn't catch it, I would think keeping the tooling similar would be cost effective.

But what do we know :)

If it makes you feel any better I've been monkeying around with '66 LTD's hubcaps for the last several days in trying to revitalize them. Of course the LTD hub cap has to have a difference centre cap than the galaxie. And whilst they do repop the '66 LTD hubcap it's 155 dollars a piece. Or 620 dollars for 4 lousy hubcaps. For 100 dollars more I could buy brand new set of Ford Magnum 500 wheels. <sigh> But I'm trying to keep the car as quintessentially 60's and formal looking as possible (sans under the hood) inside and outside. The hubcaps really help with that goal. They are just driving me crazy..... kind of like your rear quarter....

OK done commiserating, back to work :0)

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
I think she's lookin good even with the ripples but then you know how i am!
Maybe she thinks she's a flag or a curvy girl. :)

If you can't get it all the way you want it think of it this way. In the distant future if she passes on to someone else's hands and the people of her then present try to find her later on as sometimes happens, she will have known blemishes or markings known by them. Like a tatto or mole or dental identification! :)

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
LOL, yeah she bears a few scars from 5 decades- the recent plastic surgery didnt help though thats for sure. wetsanded, rubbed, looks a little better, but very little- was hoping to see a improvement like the first two pics from04, that had to be the ugliest quarter i ever saw, and it turned out presentable... this time though, i didnt do it any favors... the darker color really looks bad- the side i did in 04 was a little darker, but this is way way worse.

got it cleaned/waxed/oil changed, hopefully will be ok for Friday, it is what it is... maybe this will kick me into getting the new doors squirreled away the past decade, cleaned up and start looking at finally respraying the whole car...it really needs it bad. one thing for sure, the drivers quarter is gonna need a lot of bondo- using a 3' straightedge its 1/8" bulged out behind the wheelwell...the body crease is bowed 1/4" over the length with flat areas here and there, anything but straight :(
REALLY need to find a drivers quarter- the cuts on this half panel patch were horrible, dont think it will ever be fixable...at a min, will need stripped, relief cut/beat/welded to get it at least flat over its length so so much mud wont be needed... maybe next winter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
after work tonight, took the Gal to the autozone downtown, put a new battery in, on the way home, felt a little shimmy in the front, jacked up, looked/pried, all i saw was maybe 1/32" wobble in passenger lower balljoint... ran up to Summit, bought a pair of Moog K8059s, came home, popped it in, went to grease it, darn if it wasnt pouring grease out the bottom.

Popped it back out, yay, checked boot- looked fine, didnt see how grease coulda leaked from under it, put back in, torqued down regreased, poured out the bottom again...looking closer, noticed grease was coming between 'layers', hmm... took the other out of the box, assembled the boot onto it, tried greasing, filled right up- still seeped a tiny bit between layers, but that first one was a gusher... installed the second one back into the car (third times the charm?) pumped it up, filled the boot like normal, only a small leakage out the bottom...

anyone else ran into this before? heres a vid clip of where its leaking:
like i said, the second one was fine- did have a tiny seepage in one spot, but nothing like this one...

oh well, the loose one is gone :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hello ford4V429,

Wow, have never had problem with a Moog, seems like problems with other brands. May I ask, was it an actual Moog part and not a similar joint that someone took the Moog and put a Raybestos or Delco (had problems with both of these) part back in the box and returned?

Well at least it's fixed, one less thing to worry about :)

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Hello ford4V429,

Wow, have never had problem with a Moog, seems like problems with other brands. May I ask, was it an actual Moog part and not a similar joint that someone took the Moog and put a Raybestos or Delco (had problems with both of these) part back in the box and returned?

Well at least it's fixed, one less thing to worry about :)
came from Summit, box undamaged till i opened it, looks better than chinese(no sharp edges, etc-

hmm- just went and looked again- 'KOK' molded into the boot- you may be right! I'll ask them about that too
tim

edit, just looked on ebay -fast becoming a reliable research tool :) - and see same pics used for moog and some others...maybe its not rockauto/returns/reboxes, but outright counterfeiting by distributors that deal with the retailers- seriously, they could sell tons of premium parts by printing boxes and filling them with chinese stuff...
alternatively, perhaps Moog is doing it- 'made in USA' on the label these days could mean as little as putting a part in a box, adding a bag with nuts/cotterpin/zerk to make it 'complete'... nothing surprises me anymore

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ben's Daughter, Granddaughter and her new Hubby... She said it meant a lot just remembering her grandparents today on a short ride in their old Ford. Ben's daughter didnt know anything about it till the last second, and it really made her happy seeing the pic of her Mom and Dad they brought along to include in their pictures.
been a kinda long week, but everything went perfect today- oddly just the perfect overcast to let the not-so-perfect 51 yr old ford look about as good as possible too...got the feeling today Ben was smiling down proudly, and not about his car, but his family taking a few minutes on a very special day to remember...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Ben's Daughter, Granddaughter and her new Hubby... She said it meant a lot just remembering her grandparents today on a short ride in their old Ford. Ben's daughter didnt know anything about it till the last second, and it really made her happy seeing the pic of her Mom and Dad they brought along to include in their pictures.
been a kinda long week, but everything went perfect today- oddly just the perfect overcast to let the not-so-perfect 51 yr old ford look about as good as possible too...got the feeling today Ben was smiling down proudly, and not about his car, but his family taking a few minutes on a very special day to remember...
That's probably the best memory for all to have.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
just thinking, its been 14 years now Been has been gone, but still seems like last time I'd talked to him was days, not years ago...tic-toc, man are the years flying by...

the old Gal is still unchanged, only gassed up once this year, only got it out for a few drives and one drive-in movie, otherwise hadnt really done anything other than a oil change and wash. now the roads are salted, back to driving the old Mercury for a few months...
havent worked on the 69 mustang at all(again) did nothing but drive and autocross the 06 mustang, the 09 still has 5 miles on it...the wife drove her 07 just for a few weeks while i was messing with some rust on her avalanche(cut/welded patches, but only finished what would show after putting flares on- under the new flares its new steel, but 'finished' with POR15, and 'por15-mache'... paper towel soaked with POR- forms to contours really well, and strong as fiberglass, with POR rust resistance- i hope). hopefully will get a few more years out of it- its been a great truck for almost 200,000 miles, only ever had to do brakes, a couple evap solenoids and lights, been a good one, even if a chevy :)
Oh and dragged home another little project (9900 pounds of it) that was needed like a hole in the head, but just couldnt stand to see sitting sinking in the scrapyard...spent a month of evenings redoing it, instead of other things I shoulda been working on...
If Ben was here and saw my messy garage, he'd kick my ***... sure miss him and his brother Don, some of the best friends i'd ever had...0:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
just thinking, its been 14 years now Been has been gone, but still seems like last time I'd talked to him was days, not years ago...tic-toc, man are the years flying by...

the old Gal is still unchanged, only gassed up once this year, only got it out for a few drives and one drive-in movie, otherwise hadnt really done anything other than a oil change and wash. now the roads are salted, back to driving the old Mercury for a few months...
havent worked on the 69 mustang at all(again) did nothing but drive and autocross the 06 mustang, the 09 still has 5 miles on it...the wife drove her 07 just for a few weeks while i was messing with some rust on her avalanche(cut/welded patches, but only finished what would show after putting flares on- under the new flares its new steel, but 'finished' with POR15, and 'por15-mache'... paper towel soaked with POR- forms to contours really well, and strong as fiberglass, with POR rust resistance- i hope). hopefully will get a few more years out of it- its been a great truck for almost 200,000 miles, only ever had to do brakes, a couple evap solenoids and lights, been a good one, even if a chevy :)
Oh and dragged home another little project (9900 pounds of it) that was needed like a hole in the head, but just couldnt stand to see sitting sinking in the scrapyard...spent a month of evenings redoing it, instead of other things I shoulda been working on...
If Ben was here and saw my messy garage, he'd kick my ***... sure miss him and his brother Don, some of the best friends i'd ever had...0:)
Hello Ford4V429,

I do like the work you did to the forklift. It reminds me of my retired neighbor and friend. He has an old Yale forklift from the labs he uses in his shop. The joke is Oppenheimer used it to load Fatman onto the truck himself. It's that old, poor thing has seen better days but he keeps it going. It's an old flat head 4 and runs great still. Boy they don't make them like that anymore. I get a kick out of it.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hello Ford4V429,

I do like the work you did to the forklift. It reminds me of my retired neighbor and friend. He has an old Yale forklift from the labs he uses in his shop. The joke is Oppenheimer used it to load Fatman onto the truck himself. It's that old, poor thing has seen better days but he keeps it going. It's an old flat head 4 and runs great still. Boy they don't make them like that anymore. I get a kick out of it.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
thanks DXL :)
there were two sitting out for scrap, ones a 40's/50's manual trans...I called the guys at local airplane museum last year about these, they came/looked, liked the old one as its a twin to one at the museum, and could be a useable thing that wouldnt be out of place in displays...the clark was a 90's model(forklifts are cheap- running good they can be had for1000- 2500 around here, and service/parts can get pricey), anyways they never came back...i heard they were getting ready to clear out our scrap area, went out to look, and this one got me like a sad eyed puppy at the pound...triple mast, everything was there, supposedly 'just' needed engine rebuilt... asked the boss about it- hes like 'take it- but if Paula gets mad i dont want to hear about it ' it had sat about 2 years outside, i messed around a couple hours, put a new battery, alt belt, oil was low but clean, just topped it off, cap/rotor/wires(weather corroded) and a bottle, got it running enough to drive onto a trailer- they even delivered it for me :) ended up massive oil leak was loose filter(!) and valvecover on its mitsubishi motor was puking- every vacuum line was missing, mast rollers/steering/tilt cyl/valve linkages,steering links/brakes-wheel-master cyls, wiring was all hacked up...ended up everything BUT the engine was just hacked up by poor maintenance/neglect...all up got maybe 900 bucks in it and its actually a nice truck- man what a mess underneath though- its a 93, dont think it had ever been pressure washed- wife was at work when I washed it- put tarps down, musta blew 20 pounds of grease/chps/crud out from under it, had all cleaned up before she got home- was a huge mess...anyway, my backs been bad enough, it seemed at the time , justifying another labor saving device might be ok, but heck, the wheels must go 300#, brake drum/hubs over 100# was a workout just fixing IT :)
wife was a good sport about it, showed her and the youngest how to operate it, just in case(older kids have all driven them at work) so she was pretty content after it was running good and no longer a eyesore- plus it wont fit thru her garage doors, so she wont have to see it LOL :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too - I need to catch up on some reading, sure you are still doing amazing things - heres a pic of my mrs pharmacy tech/forklift driver :) Hope all is well with you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
was just looking thru this old thread again... the old Gal is still running great- still havent worked on the Mustang... did talk to old neighbor Ben's daughter today, families are all doing good... as for the forklifs, i was a glutton for punishment- the 'old' one was about to go in the bin again, no where to hide it... no room at home, but they actually let me use a spot in back of the shop to mess with it- and decided to not just get it driveable, but fix everything and convert to power steering, gonna donate it to the local air museum that originally wanted it, but never showed up to get it...ended up a pretty big little project, as things often do... steering box was destroyed, went to pull a part(my favorite research tool) and started looking for vehicles with lefthand worm steering gears...only big ford and dodge vans, a land rover, and a lowly chevy astro had LH boxes... so ordered a rebuilt astro box- only one evewn close to fitting... had to section the chassis and add a box mount, but crammed it in there...jeep tj pitman arm, hower racing 1 1/8" ballstud and it hooked up to the original drag link... son had a 4 cyl ranger- had noted the kinda neat ps pump mount/adjuster on it- found one on ebay, and got a remanufactured pump for it, and adapter fittings from Speedway motors...put a honda ujoint in the column, on a speedway spline adapter, added some bearings to the shortened column... had to make a new horn slipring... PITA... as it was the same model military had used, took some liberties with side panels, milled up new ones to fit a army star, and gave it a kinda stolen valor paintjob... older guy at work helped with lettering that 'made sense' to him, tagged as if from motor pool he ran at fort bliss LOL... anyways, it ended up being a 1963 model 462 machine, same model was around 59-65 near as i can tell... funny the old junk forklift will wind up in a airplane museum with their gt=round equipment LOL. the old flathead purrs like a kitten, had just been rebuilt a handful of hours before the steering box broke...just couldnt bear to see it tossed... last to do is milling up a new nameplate and dedication plate- gonna be in my old buddy Don;s name, he really liked that museum... heres some goofy pics if anyones into old lift trucks- but hey its got a ford steering pump in it :)
1963 towmotor 462 forklift saving from scrapyard | Flickr

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
was just looking thru this old thread again... the old Gal is still running great- still havent worked on the Mustang... did talk to old neighbor Ben's daughter today, families are all doing good... as for the forklifs, i was a glutton for punishment- the 'old' one was about to go in the bin again, no where to hide it... no room at home, but they actually let me use a spot in back of the shop to mess with it- and decided to not just get it driveable, but fix everything and convert to power steering, gonna donate it to the local air museum that originally wanted it, but never showed up to get it...ended up a pretty big little project, as things often do... steering box was destroyed, went to pull a part(my favorite research tool) and started looking for vehicles with lefthand worm steering gears...only big ford and dodge vans, a land rover, and a lowly chevy astro had LH boxes... so ordered a rebuilt astro box- only one evewn close to fitting... had to section the chassis and add a box mount, but crammed it in there...jeep tj pitman arm, hower racing 1 1/8" ballstud and it hooked up to the original drag link... son had a 4 cyl ranger- had noted the kinda neat ps pump mount/adjuster on it- found one on ebay, and got a remanufactured pump for it, and adapter fittings from Speedway motors...put a honda ujoint in the column, on a speedway spline adapter, added some bearings to the shortened column... had to make a new horn slipring... PITA... as it was the same model military had used, took some liberties with side panels, milled up new ones to fit a army star, and gave it a kinda stolen valor paintjob... older guy at work helped with lettering that 'made sense' to him, tagged as if from motor pool he ran at fort bliss LOL... anyways, it ended up being a 1963 model 462 machine, same model was around 59-65 near as i can tell... funny the old junk forklift will wind up in a airplane museum with their gt=round equipment LOL. the old flathead purrs like a kitten, had just been rebuilt a handful of hours before the steering box broke...just couldnt bear to see it tossed... last to do is milling up a new nameplate and dedication plate- gonna be in my old buddy Don;s name, he really liked that museum... heres some goofy pics if anyones into old lift trucks- but hey its got a ford steering pump in it :)
1963 towmotor 462 forklift saving from scrapyard | Flickr
Hello ford4v429,

Wow you did a really nice job on the forklift! How did you get the paint with the spatter in it? My neighbor has a similar fork lift. I do think it's a Towmotor too, it looks very similar with a little flat head gasoline 4 cylinder.

Aside from that how's things lately?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hello ford4v429,

Wow you did a really nice job on the forklift! How did you get the paint with the spatter in it? My neighbor has a similar fork lift. I do think it's a Towmotor too, it looks very similar with a little flat head gasoline 4 cylinder.

Aside from that how's things lately?

Cheers
thanks, think its a kinda cute ol' ugly duckling of a neglected machine :) the paint is just Summit Racing's house brand two part urethane- but put on with little 4" x 1" trim rollers, same as the neon green I used on the Clark... the thing with rolling that stuff on is keep rolling as it starts to tack up, lifting a uniform texture...i like the kinda 'industrial' look it gives- dries with light texture like you'd expect to see if painting over a bare sandblasted casting... only mix a little tray of paint at a time, and have about 20-30 minutes 'roll time', throw the roller away before it sets up.
we just went by MAPS museum today, talked to another guy there about it, he had just done similar rolling on a cammo paintjob on a plane they were cosmetically restoring- was telling him how on the towmotor seat pan, I used cotton cloth and resin instead of fiberglass, as it stretches/contours easily, he had done that also to shape damaged skin areas on planes :)
Anyways all is well here- glad time changes tonight, as the goofy lockdown BS fades, folks are getting their lives back...not looking forward to the coming gas prices, but elections have consequences...oldest son just bought a house, been over there a lot helping renovate...always something. longer daylight, time to get out in the garage and start cleaning things out, too many neglected projects :) hope all is well for you- be glad you arent farther north- you see the estimates for northern colorado today? 91" expected in Estes Park... southern Co/Az/Nm look like typical end of season snows might leave a dusting, but man...91" in northern Co is insane.

·
Administrator
22,138 Posts
You went on a ride in the wayback train didn't ya! Still an awesome story and should be brought up now and then for the newbies here. They can see what determination can do. Hope all the fam is doing well and glad to hear the rigs are doing well and the '65's family too.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
holy old threads batman.... just had to post something, 18 yrs today we lost old Ben... only drove the old gal once this year- had promised to take it out by the graveyard once in a while, hadnt made it out this year, figured it was time before weather turned to crap... the old Galaxie still runs like a top- still havent put the new doors on or got it painted, still looks ok from 20' , just still cant bear to take to sanding that old enamel that Ben had polished so thin for all those years... car still cranks longer than any vehicle ive ever had, blows my mind its the original starter still...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
395 Posts
holy old threads batman.... just had to post something, 18 yrs today we lost old Ben... only drove the old gal once this year- had promised to take it out by the graveyard once in a while, hadnt made it out this year, figured it was time before weather turned to crap... the old Galaxie still runs like a top- still havent put the new doors on or got it painted, still looks ok from 20' , just still cant bear to take to sanding that old enamel that Ben had polished so thin for all those years... car still cranks longer than any vehicle ive ever had, blows my mind its the original starter still...

View attachment 174425
I’m a huge fan of that body style. When/if you ever see another one, keep this fellow ‘65-fool in mind! It’s just like the front of the ‘65 Ford brochure!
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

41 - 60 of 60 Posts