Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I discovered that there are no vendors out there that make falcon cowl patch panels....Why just boggles my mind? Anyway I am going to have either form in some fabbed sheetmetal and put in new hats or find a good donor/replacement from a parts car......also will have to find a driver's side fender apron as that is rotted out on the top

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Today I ended up taking out the emergency brake assembly.....prior owners were harsh on it and the wire broke plus it was spray painted that awful green dash color....contacted Unique Ford salvage here in Orlando and Donnie will get back with me to see if there are any good cowl repair patches and aprons from his parts cars

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I talked to someone who knew someone who knew someone and ended up finding a replacement roof.....the guy lives in TX and has a '64 wagon parts car....he has all the metal replacement parts that I need like the cowl, quarters, torque boxes....anyway he is going to put together a package deal for me and I will probably have it freighted here in the next 6 months....anyway back to the roof it is rust free and won't have the posts just the top inner structure/rib section with the roof skin...he is going to shoot some pics over in the next week and we'll go from there

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
strolled on by the bodyshop again to see the progress on my other '65 falcon car....unfortunately not much new just some more dust on her....I have been a thorn in the owner's side to get him moving on this.....basically he is bouncing back and forth between my project and a '68 dodge dart...again the only thing done considerably has been the patch of the sunroof hole (can't even see it now)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
wanted to give you all an update since I haven't posted in awhile: anyway my main focus right now is getting the body back in shape....I tracked down someone who is going to cut out a good upper/lower cowl and will cut it out including the side apron cowl and door hinge....since I plan on replacing the rotted out cowl hats and damage on the driver's side this works out perfectly....the guy's name is Brian and he is out in CA....pros are getting rust free sheet metal to replace the rot but the con is the shipping charge...oh well gotta get r done! Here are some pics of the real bad metal that needs replacing on the driver's side

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is a picture of the original a/c that came with the car....I plan in the next couple of months to take it to Classic Auto Air here in Tampa and have it refurbished....it will probably take about 6-8 weeks to get done and they will charge me about $500....all I need is to provide a clutch core when I drop it off

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
got my new rust free cowl in this AM from CA....I have a contact out there that has alot of the sheetmetal that I need for the wagon...it only took 3 days from CA to FL.....anyway he cut out the entire cowl including up to the door hinges and partly way down the side cowl apron

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update:

Got a hold of my buddy, Brian out in CA and he is going to send me some more metal pieces to replace the rotted out sections of the car....he is shipping me new rust free torque boxes, transmission tunnel section, as well as firewall sheetmetal....all that for $400 (including shipping) not bad I thought and from CA to FL...he is the bomb when it comes to falcon parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The donor cowl that I ended up picking up is going to replace the rotted out sections that I need to fix....today I ended up doing about 80% of the spot weld removal off of the donor cowl....back to harbor freight tomorrow to pick up another 3/8" cutter as mine dulled out....not bad for $4.99 and also saving a heck of lot of labor....removing a cowl off of a falcon or mustang can take anywhere from 3-4 hrs...so by my calculations probably about $200 saved

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finished up the donor cowl teardown today...nice I got a rust free CA cowl which helps and shouldn't have any wet feet issues for the future! I ended up slicing off the outer edges for the patch panels.....had to take off the cowl hats as they started developing pinholes which translates to problems down the line...best to fix it right and only once!

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I got my new replacement torque boxes, firewall replacement metal, and tranny tunnel metal in today! Brian again hooked me up and very thankful for it on this rare ride

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I ended up tackling the replacement torque boxes....ended up taking out all of the spot welds to use the outer torque box for both sides....went through a couple of spot weld cutters but got r done! Just need to rust proof the metal and she is good to go....the final pic is of me after drilling out all of the spot welds on not only the torque boxes but the cowl as well....priceless!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice to see some progress on the wagon. I was going to be a smart ass, I say no hard top, go get a stripped tent top, and go Fantasy Island on here and take the doors off...:rolleyes:
:D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey we all need a good laugh, man! I had a buddy who said to make it into a ranchero or a pimp mobile with a vinyl top

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it was mexicaned out! thank god they didn't mess with the electrical....
Dont be a d!ck.
No white folks ever painted a dash green...
No black folks ever modified a car...
No asians ever hot-rodded with distaste...

Im sure there are some latino folks here that dont appreciate your ignorant humor.
This is a technical forum. Not a forum for your prejudices or stereotypes.
Like I said...dont be a d!ck.

JD

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Man, that is a nice car - I am envious too - my wife and I had a 64' Falcon wagon that was our family car in the early 90's! I put a 302 and some nice wheels - drove from Colorado to Cali once for vacation. It was white and pretty good body - I bought it for $400 while in college.

But I was into 4WD at the time and sold it - almost every week either my wife or I say "Man, I wish we had kept that Falcon." It was the neatest car we ever owned.

Keep up the good work and Hang on to it!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Today I bought a standard wagon/ranchero gas cap for the grocerygetter...this is the one that matches the body lines of the rear quarter....these gas caps are getting very hard to find and quite expensive...they are approaching $200 in price

21 - 40 of 109 Posts