Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
While I have gotten everything lined up replacement body panel wise, turned my attention to the steering column turn signal switch....on the old steering column which I intend on keeping, prior owners had spliced and diced the harness real bad....the parts wagon had a nice undisturbed harness which I took out....rustled with the cracked steering wheel a little bit but it came off....found out that the turn signal switch is about $30 brand new through falcon parts.com....so it is nice to reuse the one from the donor.....ended up ditching the rest of the 6 cylinder steering box and column...the collar where the lever fastens in was broken and couldn't be reused...my goal I have in mind is to use all of the good parts off of the parts wagon and transfer them over to my wagon

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Not much to report lately.....just trading alot of parts for other parts....got a hold of a spare tire cover,radio feed supply wire for the stock AM radio, and the correct black falcon radio knobs....ebay has gotten me some nice parts as well as selling them too...unfortunately even with a 3 car garage I don't have room for extra parts...pretty much whatever I think I will use in the next yr I will keep.....also keeps me from procrastinating on the fixes when I see the parts out in the open.....any small step is movement in the right direction!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This is a good reason to keep restoring them and not crushing or neglecting old cars....I got my "how many are left" verification back from Sam over at AIC (automotive information clearinghouse) and was shocked....the thing also is that my wagon is an original v8 with a/c whereas most of the falcon wagons were 6 cylinders...So this makes me wonder even more

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I got a chance to start working on the PS rear quarter replacement metal....as mentioned earlier in this thread I was able to cut out the rear quarter from a '64 falcon wagon in the boneyard (thank god for the sawzill).....the lower part of the quarter needs replacing ,and I won't be using the entire piece....anyway when I put in new spare tire well metal as well then this will be used in front of it.....the DS rear quarter is in much better shape and has just had a little bit of bubbling at the bottom....the inner part of it is ok and the drain was fine....even reached my hand through the tail light housing and pulled out all of the trapped debris and rats nest

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
today I turned my attention back to the 4 dr donor roof.....took off the B pillar completely as it is different than the 2 dr....on the old 2 dr it appears there are spot welds that go 3/4's of the way around the window section....I might be able to drill it out and pull out the exterior window frame section to be reused...this should save on maybe cutting the C pillar....the A&D pillars of course will have to be cut either all the way down or half way to be "sleeved" into the wagon

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
this going to be great driver, do you go to old town, and sumter co swap meet. zhills swap meet is comming up. can you post a direct web link to (how many lift) from automotive information clearinghouse.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
fnelson,

yeah man I go to Old Town all the time......about 20 min from where I live...used to go to Zhills years ago when I lived in Brandon, Dade City, & Plant City but have been turned off to the ridiculous prices to register your car for the event...the swap meet is ok didn't find anything for the falcon wagon....I actually have another '65 2 dr wagon which was my old man's...that one is at the body shop and hoping to have it back in the next month or so...I have kept that one since dad died in '92....Automotive information clearinghouse is a record keeping business that looks at important auto info such as "how many are left"...it costs about $19 for the report (example from the pic I took on mine)...company is based out of CA....if you google AIC there should be a website for ya...my dad used this report back in '89 when he first got the car....since you have a '67 fastback I recall, the records are alot more accurate and up to date....ford didn't keep records on production #'s and other important info like the Marti report shows today before '67

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanx 65fordfalcon

i have 3 67 fastbacks 1 is a gta with 63178 miles on my fl title, the marti report confrims the 289 gta im just wondering how many are lift. needs total restoration.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Fnelson,

Just remember man it calculates how many are registered and doesn't take in consideration those which are sitting, rotting away, or not on the road.....this is the only drawback to the site but still cool to know....I have always been told that 10% of whatever production # it was originally....For example Ford made 4891 2 dr '65 falcon wagons...the marti report is nice because it breaks down the options and #'s whereas the AIC report doesn't....My wagon is an original 289 v8, air conditioning Florida car with Sun X tinted glass...just those options there make it extremely rare

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Today I got my replacement tailgate in from greyhound....took about 3 days from TX....anyway the guy I bought it off of was going to throw it out originally...it is a nice rust free piece complete with working manual crank and glass that slides up and down properly....these are getting very hard to find in this good of shape anymore and I was fortunate

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Quick update:

I have decided that it is in my best interest to let a restoration shop handle the roof situation......found a shop owner off of craigslist who is about 30 min away....great guy with ref who approved of his work and business...dropped the car off this AM, and he gave me a time frame of 1/17/2011 as far as the roof being finished

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
While the wagon is in the shop getting a new lid I have turned my attention to the stock gas tank....The foul old gas smell is very intoxicating in a bad way in the garage..I have decided to have it professionally restored internally and externally....was looking at doing it myself but time is against me....It is going to cost me $275 which includes cleaning, respraying, and sealing the inside/outside (didn't think that was too bad)....I was fortunate to get the stock tank with the wagon when I bought it as it is the 20 gallon v8 tank which is also not repopped...so in my opinion I need to keep it around long term...the tank itself is in very good shape and only has surface rust on the inside/outside....of course the sending unit is toast and that can be ordered from falconparts.com....expecting to have it back by Wed/Thurs of next week and I will post some pics then....anyway here are some "before" pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Update on the roof: Mark from the bodyshop emailed me saying that the old roof is completely off.....the A&D Pillars were cut half way down and carefully measured to match the new donor roof...he is going to carefully take off the drain trim on the new roof tomorrow and cut off the A&D pillars half way down to line everything up as per the measurements......so today amidst the madness of things to do I will stop in to pay him another deposit and gradually pay him off by 1/17/2011 as per our contract

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Today I got my gas tank back restored....It was POR 15'd inside/outside and looks great...the fuel tank sending unit I got however doesn't fit it for some reason...the funny thing is the old one that was in it has the same design as the repop....might be because it was made in Taiwan! The old unit was beyond salvageable and was very rusty so I tossed it

Attachments

61 - 80 of 109 Posts