Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Update: Mark has the new roof clamped on ready for weld....He used a pulley system to lift and lower it in the test fit....told me he raised and lowered it 36 times! Everything is lining up real nice and the roof will be done in the next couple of days.....I also dropped off the donor cowl sections for Mark since he has the car....figured while he has the car to have him take care of the rusted out cowl sections

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
:tup: Awesome. I'm so glad this one is just being resto-modded rather than all out hot rodded. These cars are too precious to lose to an excess of mods that'll make it un-streetable. nice work

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Mark finished the roof and everything is fit snug....He will be turning his attention to the cowl next....I have given him the donor outer rust free cowl sections that will be welded in....the DS will be a little trickier as the rust has gotten into the cowl apron and by the upper door hinge....I am also going to have him weld in the replacement firewall section where the steering column comes out....also the strut tower brace will be welded in....apparantly when the former owner tried to put in a power brake booster they hacked the firewall to hell....anyway the strut tower brace, firewall piece, and cowl will be done in about 2 months

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Mark sandblasted the outer donor cowl pieces along with the upper cowl piece...Man I didn't realize how cool soda blasting was! He has already cut out the old firewall piece and clamped in the replacement stock piece I gave him....I also ordered the front floor pans for the tudor wagon from Classic 2 Current....cost me $136.81 for both sides(including shipping) which I didn't think was too bad

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Here is the update on the cowl fix: Mark welded in the PS donor piece and seam sealed underneath along with rust proofing the area....He is going to start on the other side next week and will have everything done by the end of the month....I am starting to shop around for a donor DS front frame rail piece to replace the rusted out one on the wagon

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The DS cowl section has been welded in by Mark...he has the upper cowl prepped and clamped in place....the spot welds lined up dead on....the only other thing that needs to be done by him is to recreate the hats and weld them on....once that is done than the upper cowl can be welded on and seam sealed...he also plans on rustproofing the section and painting the inside of the cowl a color similar to the original Prairie Bronze....here are some more pics of the progress

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well folks the cowl is in the books as FINISHED! Mark is going to start next on the last of the big structural issues: torque boxes, DS front frame rail, floor pans....I also got hooked up with a nice rust free PS rear quarter/spare tire well section since mine is rotted out...found it on ebay and the guy cut it out of a falcon wagon from the wheel housing back to the tail light section...that is going to save alot of $, time, and fabbing as it is a good donor piece to be welded in

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I visited Mark again today for an update on the tudor....He has started on the PS by removing the front floor pan....I was fortunate to see that the frame rail is in great shape and won't need replacing....The funny thing is, is that a former owner in the past must have welded another piece of metal over the existing floor pan to try and fix the rust! There was a huge amount of tar up against the rocker which can be said for the other side as well...The toe board was also poorly repaired in the past and is evident in the pictures....I have a replacement donor trans tunnel piece which he is going to weld in as I turn the tudor back to a 3 on the tree....The DS is going to be a different story and I am expecting the worst on that but it will be fixed RIGHT

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Mark took off the outer torque box and also cut out the old patch panels that someone put over the existing floor...The toe board was ok except for the bottom where it runs over to the trans tunnel....the PS front frame rail had some pitting on the metal but was still structurally sound enough to keep it...I poked it a few times checking to make sure I didn't hear that crunch noise or my finger going through...Mark is going to osfo it and paint it over....There was some more damage in the corner and lots of tar that needed to be removed....Just waiting on the toe boards to come in from Classic 2 Current for Mark to clean it up and put it back together

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Today I picked up the rust free spare tire well/PS rear quarter section from Forward Air that was bought off of ebay....What a beautiful AZ rust free piece! This will make fixing my rotted out spare tire well section so much easier to do for Mark over at the shop....I also gave him the toe boards and rear floor pans from Classic 2 Current...he has the front floor pans completely out on both sides and just has to fix the DS front frame rail and cut out the DS torque box....he said it was a PITA to cut out the crappy floor pan fix that a prior owner tried to do....The funny thing was there was a rubber hose in the frame rail which may or may not have been put there from the factory by mistake....anyway Mark is still plugging along and is tickled to death by that little tudor falcon wagon in his shop

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Mark polished off the PS inner and outer torque box last night so it is FINISHED! He sprayed it with Ospho along with the frame rail....I am going to start drilling out spot welds on the spare tire well/PS rear quarter for the sections that I need. The wheelhousing, trim piece, and any other thing I don't need I will throw on Craigslist for someone to use. My intention is to save on labor cost by doing much of that myself. I figure drilling out a few dozen spot welds will save me well over $300-$400 in labor if Mark had to do it himself

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics of the DS inner torque box....Mark drilled out the spot welds on the outer torque box and removed the front frame rail...he is going to weld in some patch panels on the rail as there is a little bit more damage....THE LESSON TO BE LEARNED HERE FOLKS IS GET THE COWL FIXED THE RIGHT WAY THE 1ST TIME OR THIS WILL HAPPEN! Clearly this is years of neglect as well as putting a bandaid on things

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I stopped by Mark's shop this AM and low and behold he has the DS frame rail donor piece and outer torque box welded in nice and solid....next up will be the front floor pans along with the tranny tunnel piece and rear pans....that should be done by the end of April

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Eliteman76,

I have full attention to the body on this project first.....learned from my other project to not do all of the other work first

81 - 100 of 109 Posts