Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's been a long time, and I figure I would start my engine build thread. The engine is going into a 65 Mustang. The short block is complete, and cylinder heads are complete, but I've been away for 8 months and have been unable to finish it. Hopefully, this winter I'll be able to get it complete and on the dyno. Here are the details . . . .

Block: World Man O War 9.2 deck 351, has Billet Steel Main Caps, and 302 Main Journals.

Bearings: Clevite Coated Main, Rod, and Cam bearings. (Rod bearings have been machine for forced pin oiling)

Crank: Bryant Racing Billet Steel Knife Edged Crank, Stroke Measure 3.255 inches

Rods: Pankl Racing Tapered H Beam Billet Steel Connecting Rods, 6.000 in length, over sized Honda wrist pin ends, machined for forced pin oiling.

Wrist Pins: Precision Products H-13 Tool Steel Wrist pins, .868 od, .150 straight wall.

Pistons: CP Pistons, 4.155 Bore, 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0 mm ring package

Cam: Custom Comp Solid Roller, 238 @ .050, .415 lobe lift on the intake , 246 @ .050, .425 lobe lift on the exhaust, LSA 107

Cylinder Heads: World Man O War 18 Degree CNC Ported (hand finished), 2.100 Intake Valve, 1.600 Exhaust Valve, 64cc Chamber, Ferrea 6000 series valves.

Intake: Ported Edelbrock Victor Jr.

I will try to continue to update once I get back, and maybe I'll have some dyno numbers, and video by the end of the year!

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
You cam lift specs seem really small to me. Am I missing something or did you mean to write .525 and .515? even that isn't a lot of lift. Mine is a roller cam but it's .555/.565 lift and it's not that wild.

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah your missing something. The lobe lift is strictly the lobe on the cam. Multiply the lobe lift by rocker ratio to get the lift at the valve. So with a 1.6 rocker ratio it would be around .660 on the intake and .680 on the exhaust.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm still on the fence with the intake. I've been going back and forth between Vic Jr and Super Vic. I can't make up my mind. She'll be a screamer for sure. Looking to spin her around 7500 RPM. It should be a fun street car!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ummm have i missed out on something? a 353 starting with a 351? maybe ya meant 393? or maybe its a 302 to start with? ( i aint the sharpest knife in the drawer...)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ummm have i missed out on something? a 353 starting with a 351? maybe ya meant 393? or maybe its a 302 to start with? ( i aint the sharpest knife in the drawer...)
It's an odd combination, but it's a big bore short stroke application derived from high rpm endurance racing applications. It requires an aftermarket block to achieve this type of combination. It is very similar to the previous Roush Yates C3/D3 short block setups. The only differences would be a 9.0 inch deck height, and a dry sump oiling system. But it's definitely a 353 cubic inch SBF.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
What he's saying, is that it's a de-stroked crank and an over-sized bore compared to a production 4" SBF. The crank would be about right for a 331, but with the 4.155 over-bored 351C-height block makes 353. Think of it like an overbore 331 stroker with looong rods. ;)

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What he's saying, is that it's a de-stroked crank and an over-sized bore compared to a production 4" SBF. The crank would be about right for a 331, but with the 4.155 over-bored 351C-height block makes 353. Think of it like an overbore 331 stroker with looong rods. ;)

David
Thanks David! A lot better explanation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts