Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need the bolt pattern for my C4 to bolt to my adapter plate but the info I have is not conclusive. The 3 bells I have all measure slightly different at the dowel holes (only 008 thou but I want it right)
What with worn dowel holes and corrosion its hard to get a good measurement.

Would anyone here have a drawing to share ?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah,which small block,5 or 6 bolt ? Or ,what year and size ?

Are you trying to put a c/4 up to a 221, 260 , 289 ect. ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4G63 Mitsubishi engine / adapter plate/ C4 trans 6 bolt
The engine side is sorted but as I don't have a sbf block I need the correct bolt pattern to be sure.

Tony

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Normally, the original block is irrelevant, and you take the pattern from the bell you are actually using. Whether the bell you have is perfect or not, it will still fit perfectly to the adapter if done that way. BTW - the critical dimensions in the block/bell are the dowels. The bolt holes only have to be close enough to get a bolt through, and that's why you see variation in them due to their looser manufacturing tolerance. Get your dowels right for the bell you have and you're good.
:tup:
David

PS: I saw a 4G63 adapter for sale somewhere. Maybe check YouTube for 4g63/C4 car videos and ask the owners.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, i mentioned that it was the dowel positions that I'm concerned with and fully realise the importance of their position.
The iron block will measure true compared to corroded, worn oval holes in the ali bells.
I dont intend to use the bells i have and will buy an sfi approved bell for competition use hence the reason i want the pattern so that ANY bell for a sbf will fit. However the project is a long time from being ready so i don't want an sfi bell sat around running out of tag (its a hassle to get retagged here)

Yes there are a few adapters out there for 4g63/4 but they are for GM boxes. Bill Hincher makes one offs but not for this combo yet. i have the plate and its in machining now and just need the correct ford pattern to tell my machinist exactly what positions the holes need to be.

Cheers

Tony

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
David, i mentioned that it was the dowel positions that I'm concerned with and fully realise the importance of their position.
The iron block will measure true compared to corroded, worn oval holes in the ali bells.
I dont intend to use the bells i have and will buy an sfi approved bell for competition use hence the reason i want the pattern so that ANY bell for a sbf will fit. However the project is a long time from being ready so i don't want an sfi bell sat around running out of tag (its a hassle to get retagged here)

Yes there are a few adapters out there for 4g63/4 but they are for GM boxes. Bill Hincher makes one offs but not for this combo yet. i have the plate and its in machining now and just need the correct ford pattern to tell my machinist exactly what positions the holes need to be.

Cheers

Tony
dowells off or not , doesnt matter .

center of C4 (bell off trans) to crank center (adp. plate). all that needed
that way you could turn the trand upside down. lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Dan thats right but when i bolt it all together if the dowels were in the wrong place relative to the crank c/l it would then pull it off centre.

Tony

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Yes Dan thats right but when i bolt it all together if the dowels were in the wrong place relative to the crank c/l it would then pull it off centre.

Tony
you a machinest ?

by the center , could car less if the dowels are off by 10 feet

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you are obviously so smart how do you take it off the mill while centred then bolt it to the engine without losing the centre you just created?
If you would rely on the 6 bolts and their clearance holes for alignment i wouldn't fancy your chances of keeping a flex plate in there for long.

Tony

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
As you are obviously so smart how do you take it off the mill while centred then bolt it to the engine without losing the centre you just created?
If you would rely on the 6 bolts and their clearance holes for alignment i wouldn't fancy your chances of keeping a flex plate in there for long.

Tony
Thank you for coming to the understanding I'm smart

I deleted how it would be done

1 - 13 of 13 Posts