Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you swap a 1 peice to a 2 peice design?
Other than the eccentric any other mods needed?
Have a 2 piece style chain but I am using a 1 piece and the TC Cover will not fit now. Any one else hahad this happen?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Which timing chain set are you using?? Most aftermarket performance chains utilize a one piece eccentric. A style that uses a 2 piece eccentric will have a step on the upper gear so the outer ring on the eccentric doesnt bind and not rotate. Worst case you can use the one piece and trim it slightly in a lathe(be sure the fuel pump arm still rides on the eccentric completely. Hope this helps, Tim.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a similar problem when rebuilding my 69 302. I'd bought a full cam kit that included a timing set. Went to install it and found:
1. The cam pin supplied would not contact the eccentric.
2. Once I got that solved the timing set was thicker than stock by a couple of mm's-cover wouldn't fit. Went to autozone and bought garden variety cloyes set (std replacement type was probably stock size) and it fit. Mine was a one pc. though. Got an old thread on this sight with some pics about this.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Had the same issue with a new timing set from comp and a FRPP 1 piece eccentric. I didnt have the ability to pull the cam pin to look for a longer than normal cam pin so I went electric pump for now. Thats coming out when I stick a new engine in my mach 1.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I think they went to two piece in 72. Correct me on this. One of them Ford deals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts