Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I was getting things down on the Falcon project I come across the fact that some 302 water pumps were reverse rotation. Since the engine my dad dropped in is out a '95 Mustang and he put on a mechanical fuel pump I want to make sure that what he installed will work correctly before I put in all this work and end up with an engine that overheats. The part number on the pump is 30816-1 and the timing cover is RF E3AE-6059-CA (I'm assuming the RF stand for 'Reverse Flow'?). Without pulling the pump to see what I've got is there any way to tell with those part numbers? Also, the water pump pulley is smooth which leads me to believe it's intended for the backside of a serpentine belt. Can anyone tell me where I can get a grooved version of it?

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
A 95 Mustang 5.0L would originally have a reverse rotation water pump.

RF stands for Rough Forging.
E3 means the part was originally designed in 1983.

The timing cover was obviously changed to install the mechanical fuel pump.
If the water pump has the smooth serpentine pulley, its a good bet it is reverse rotation.
83 also had serpentine setup, reverse rotation water pump.

30816-1 seems to be a reman aftermarket replacement pump.

You're gonna hafta pull it and check, don't leave it to chance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some earlier 1980's Full size cars had a standard rotation serpentine belt water pump the donor 302 in my '54 Ford came from a 1984 MK VII and it was standard rotation,almost all cars went to reverse rotation after 1985 but there were some exceptions mine was a Gates 43058 there is a chart here showing cars that used that pump. 1984 LINCOLN MARK VII 5.0L 302cid V8 Water Pump | RockAuto

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Just when I thought I was getting things down on the Falcon project I come across the fact that some 302 water pumps were reverse rotation. …
Michael, we beat the water pump and timing cover issue around every few years. Do a site Search? for the subject, such as this one of posts I've made about it over the years: Search results for query: reverse rotation water pump

Follow the links in posts and threads, as they can go where searches sometimes do not.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
When installing a later engine in an earlier car, engine balance needs to be addressed. The pre 1982 cars had a 28 oz external balance, and the later cars were 50. You'll see the external balance weights on the new stuff are about twice the size of the older vehicles. Therefore, you cannot use your old pre-82 harmonic balancer and flywheel on the 1995 engine. Hopefully, you've addressed this.

As for water pumps, there are charts to help you identify what you have.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts