Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am lloking at the actron cp9575 (~$110) and the equus 3040 (~$75). Any feedback on these would be helpful or on any other unit that is under 125.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
What do you think about a radio shank ohm meter?
Not sure of which one you are looking at some are decent some are junk... On VOM's you DO get what you pay for, just keep that in mind......

MRO.....

On the scan tool its depending on why / what you are needing it for, strickly diag most of the cheaper ones are fine for general use, but the more expensive/updatability types are for really getting deep... The ones you are looking at are decent enough for the DIY'r....

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
You may want to post this in the Late Model EFI forum section for more answers. What do you need the scan tool to do? If you just want to clear codes or read basic trouble codes, use the free loaner at an auto parts store. But, if you want more capability or diagnostic features, and if you have a laptop or netbook, I would suggest a PC scan tool adapter as they have nearly unlimited capability, depending of the software used.

They come with basic software to do the things a hand-held would do. If you need more, then you just "stack" upgrade the software to the level you require. A popular example is the OBDLink SX, currently at $50 on special. Read the Overview and Key features section.

The next-level upgrade software is ScanXL with some very nifty and advanced features like a real-time digital dash, data recording, and limited dyno capability. Finally, you can add specific Ford features to do stuff with Ford-only systems. Only spend as much as you need to. There are even more free programs on sites like SourceForge for these things.

Anyway, this isn't an ad for them, and I have no connection with them, but it's an example of the direction the market is rapidly going, using the computing power of your laptop (or even wireless with a smart phone) to do lots more than a hand-held for less. HTH

David

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew if I sent the foolish radio shack question out someone would respond :). David I didn't know about the PC scan tool. Thanks. My wife has a 2001 Izusu Trooper with a check engine light on. I want to get it ready to sell. Regards; Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts