Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. I just picked up a '79 Ford F150 pickup that I'll be using as a donor for my '63 Falcon. I'm replacing the 200 CI straight 6 and 4-speed trans that are currently in my Falcon for the 302 V8 and C4 trans (I think its a C4) from the F150.

I'm a motorcycle guy, very new to cars and proper terminology. Based on what I've seen here, the Hedman shorty headers are frequently recommended. What's the difference between the shorty header and full length headers? Do they hug the block tighter for better side clearance in the engine bay? My Falcon is lowered 3" in the front and 2" in the rear. Any considerations to prevent ground clearance issues? If I go with shorties, do I need a mid pipes? Any routing issues with the C4 trans?

I saw these on the Falcon Enterprises site for $465:

1960-1965 TRI-Y HEADERS - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - Exhausts - Falcon Enterprises

Thoughts on those? Seems a little pricey for non-coated headers.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It really depends on what you plan to do with the car and powertrain mods. If you're going for a performance oriented (higher RPM engine) you'll probably be better off with full length long tube headers. A more mid range RPM engine will like the tri-y's you're showing here and if it's going to be strictly a street cruiser you can get away with shorties.

I'm running Hooker Super Competition headers on my '65 and can tell you from experiance they suck as far as clearance goes and I mean everywhere. My car is stock ride height and since day one they've hit and rubbed themselves to the point where I had my muffler guy weld patches on them last time they were out of the car. They also hit every speed bump on the planet if I don't roll over them at just the right speed and angle. They rub on the steering box, idler arm bolts and a couple other places as well. The problem is that I've never heard of a company that makes a full length large tube design header for these cars that doesn't suck. :confused:

Good luck!

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have no problems with the FPA, matter of fact they are hard to see because they are tucked up so far. Sit high than the rest of the exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts