Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how good the 429 SCJ heads are? I recently picked up a pair in horse trade and was curious. These are the real thing, they were on a tractor pull motor. They are fully ported and polished with the 2.25 intake valves. I am assembling the parts to build a decent 460. I have a Jasper 460 with 5000 miles that is bored 40 over and is like new. I also acquired a 429/460 tunnel ram setup with 2 600 holleys. So far I have nothing out of pocket but I need the rest. Any advice on cam size, I want to go solid lift. How about Pistons, I would like to keep it around or below 11 to 1. It is just for a street car. I will probably go into a maverick or pinto, something small that I can drive back and forth to work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 3/9/02 8:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Those heads are ok, not as good as ported D3VEs though. I've got a set of D3s that are about 1/8th of the way done being ported, I'll trade you straight up for the SCJs.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
gonna put it into a maverick maybe? If you do, I wanna see pics of how you made it fit!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Geez! If you want to run low 10s or high 9s in a Pinto or Maverick, you just need C8VE-D0VE regular passenger heads and don't even need to port them. If you want a decent 460 that will have around 11:1 compression with the ported CJ heads, it is too easy at this point. The only problem is those 2 600 carbs are too small and you WILL be choking it. 2-750DPs at the least and will be very streetable and some KB hypereutectic flat top pistons or the domed forged TRW pistons with domes removed will be your best bet and KBs will be the cheapest bet. The cam used with those heads will need to be smaller than that used for the same RPMs with the smaller passenger car heads. It all depends on what RPM you want to take the 460 to and what weight car, what stall, and rods will be used. Those 460 needs to be spun higher to take advantage of those huge intake ports especially if ported well on the intake ports. I don't suggest the tunnel ram though for the mild intent of daily street driving but if you do use it, use bigger carbs. A solid cam with 255-260 at .050 on the intake and 260-265 at .050 on the exhaust and 108-110 seperation angle with 108 being used with 255 at .050 dur intake and 110 being used with 260 at .050 dur on the intake. That will give you approximately a 3000-6500 powerband. That cam will work well in a heavy car and of course a light one too. A mild .600 to .640 lift and all stock block, truck rods, KB(10.8:1 w/72cc CJ heads) or TRW dome pistons with dome milled off(11:2-11.5:1 w/72 CC CJ heads) and a good oil pan of at least 8 qts. It will be very streetable and mild but will crank out the horses(and torque) and only needs a 3000-3500 stall. Should be more than enough to run 9s in that mild street form with a light car like a Pinto or Maverick if you can get the traction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts