Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and looked at a 429 today, was told that it came out of a Ltd. turned out to be a 100% complete 1970 429/c6 combo, with D0VE-C heads. Got it for $200, with some other parts thrown in for free. It's stuck right now, but it was supposedly a running motor when it was pulled and has been covered up since, so hopefully it's just some rusty rings. No water in it. So I finally have a virgin 429 motor to rebuild, and even have some money to build it now that the mustang is gone. Anyone have a tunnel ram laying around? Haha

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAH I had someone bring me a 1970 390 adn C-6 bolted to it about a month ago in trade for some work. Was running when pulled, ran strong...

Pulled, wrapped in plastic and a tarp for 7 years.

I took off the heads and 5 cylinders were CHOCK FULL of water and rust...

Took a VERY VERY large hammer (my 20 lb sledge) a starter utilizing 24 Volts and 1200 CCA (2 12 v batteries wires in series) and a 4X4 in a plug hole and a 3 foot pip3 wrench on the crank snout to get the motor to break free...

Don't get so damn happy until you get the thing apart LOL :) You might be lucky and you might end up pissed....

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
last year i passed on a 69 mark III with the 460/4V, running, but broken frame...the guy only wanted 500, ran great, moved under its own power except for the rear axle moving around...i didnt have time/room for another, car, he didnt have time to pull it(although it was a boneyard setup) but that was the only intact/original 385 ive seen in years that was reasonable. my 429 sat since 1979, I'd put rings/bearings in it after i wrecked the car, we pulled it apart again 2 yrs ago, still clean as a whistle inside- just some light marks where the rings had sat all those years...it broke free with just a 1/2 ratchet(after pulling heads to look first) but I'd fogged it with oil/ductaped the intake/exhaust before storing it...those old 429s were awesome. heavy, but awesome...480 ft/lb stock, yet rev like a smallblock with that puny 3.59 stroke...near 11:1 stock and some of the largest bores ever can tend to do that...my all-time favorite engine, even if it weighed like 670 in iron :)

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Solid find my friend!

Even if the block was shot for some reason a guy could get fairly close to breaking even just selling the D0VE-C heads if you ever wanted to.

Good luck, that will be sweet in your 68!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Solid find my friend!

Even if the block was shot for some reason a guy could get fairly close to breaking even just selling the D0VE-C heads if you ever wanted to.

Next time i'm at my dads i need to carry a stool with me and see if i can find some numbers on a 4x4 in the field that he thinks had a 429 put in it. I was too short to see over the fenders far enough to see numbers. The problem with stuff there he's out in the boonie sticks and too far for anyone to want to go. He has a '60 truck with duallys and whatever that rearend is called with dual gearing and a 292 in it but have had no luck finding a buyer for that either. Think he still has the 460 sitting around also. Another thing on my list to do when home this summer. If nothing else maybe the heads are good ones as he might end up just scrapping the trucks anyway.

Off topic but couldn't resist.
Wow look who crawled out of the woodwork! lol Got the gal going again yet, how bout the coupe?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solid find my friend!

Hey long time no see, yeah it was a good find. Until I broke it open this morning. Kept the trans and the heads, hopefully the heads are worth saving. Everything else was junk.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Hey long time no see, yeah it was a good find. Until I broke it open this morning. Kept the trans and the heads, hopefully the heads are worth saving. Everything else was junk.
what you call junk , (needs work) can be gold.

why are you calling it junk?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every piston was now one with the block, I tried to get it to break free but no luck, and there was so much rust in the cylinder walls that some of the pistons wouldn't be able to come out unless the rings broke. I might try to get it freed up, but it had some serious rust inside

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Soak them for a week or two. Remove the crank, Tap the pistons down, clean up top of cylinder with ridge reamer and hone. Blocks good for .090 or more.
There's a lot of metal in those blocks unless Danh says differently. Yes from experience.

Add: Hope you don't mind: A friend still has a few 4 bolt 429's and a couple of ready to drill and tap for 4 bolt. Along with a shop full of 427 blocks and parts. Still has his 406 62 Ford 2dr that he raced in the early years. He's pushing 69 and he's been building since early teens. I told him I would put the word out in case it came time to sell some of his treasures.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
myblue 68 , check the casting numbers/letters by where the starter is ..

letters read DOVE , you got a desirable block. the DOVE block is the easiest to convert for 4 bolt caps

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Hi Blue!

Like Dan said take a look at the block and see what your casting numbers there are.

The motor could be worth putting some coins into, I had a 429cj that I completely sleeved. Just about everything can be fixed with effort and motivation (spare $ never hurts) and a lot of times especially on 429 stuff you end up with something that's highly desirable.

I ended up selling my 429cj (and the 68 fairlane I put it in) for enough to fund my '66 convertible project and still have some money left over. If you find a good one keep it, regardless of the condition.

---
McCutcheon4 my friend, many thanks, many thanks! You need to come over and see this 390, she's looking good!

---
Hi Shotrod!

I'm in the process of building another 390 for the '62 thanks to my good buddy McCutcheon4. Heading over to the garage tonight to tear her down for inspection and plan to follow that up with some head work and a new cam.

Goal is to have the Big-G back on the road by March 1st. I've only been gathering parts for the '36 but she'll be getting a chop here as soon as the Galaxie is done.

- sorry to hi-jack Blue!

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Got my Speedway catalog yesterday. Page 261 was a 429/460 stroker kit that included a 4.5" Scat crank and Keith Black Pistons, 552 cu" for $1295.

Just throwin that out there, I wouldn't want one. I know, who would....?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts