Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who would expect to find a 408 Stroker in a 94 wheel chair van?
I posted this on another fourm a few week ago;

So after I pulled the Bad Exploder GTP head motor, I decided if I was going to buy new headers I mite as well switch to a 351. I found that B.C. Broncos is making an adapter to run a 5.0 Upper on a 5.8 van/truck lower manifold. I made a horse with them for one of their adapters. So the hunt begins for a nice 351.
Last week I see a 94 Ford wheel chair van at PIP the motor looks pretty clean and you can tell it has been worked on I also noticed it had 24 lb injectors instead of 19lb like it came with. then I notice it has a decal on the valve cover that said Dawkins Performance Services. Well I know Chris Dawkins pretty well so I wanted to talk to him about what had been repaired on the motor before I bought it, but I had lost his number.

I do not really need a motor right now so I kinda forgot about it. I saw the van again this week so I did a little research and found his number on the net and called him yesterday morning, he returned my call in the afternoon. I asked him if he remembered working on a ford wheelchair van. He said yes he knew the van well and asked why I wanted to know.

I told him I had keeping an eye out for a late 351 to swap into the PYL and saw the van in the yard at Pick N Pull. He could not believe the van was there. He had built the motor about 5 years ago for a good friend of his. His friend had passed away about 3 years ago.

He told me the motor was a "little" more than a 5.8 it was in fact a 408 stroker motor that had been balanced/blueprinted it has ported heads and intake, He said it was a toque monster, He is going to try to find the build sheet when he get time He is developing a exhaust system for 427 cobras.

So I got out of bed went and pulled the motor its sitting in the back of the ranchero right now!!!! SCORE!
Here was first clues this 5.8 may be special

Not what you would expect under the valve cover of a wheel chair van

you can see the clearance work done for the stroking

evidence of the balancing

some shrapnel in front sump looks like a slinger went through timing chain what ever it was it went the timing because I found a indentations from the gears

·
Registered
440 Posts
what heads are on it? i need better than my stock heads

·
Registered
718 Posts
well i'll be dipped ! congradulations ! wait till i tell all my friends ! we gonna start going to pick-your-nose again. no tellin what we might find !

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Damn! Fine find, trying to figure out what you meant, slinger went through timing cover? is the motor ok?
Motor was meant for you!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn! Fine find, trying to figure out what you meant, slinger went through timing cover? is the motor ok?
Motor was meant for you!

Oil slinger went through the timing chain and gears no biggie no damage just to the slinger from what I can tell the 94 roller block dose not use one anyway.

Been scoreing the parts I need to put it in from swap meets and Ebay

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some swap meet and Ebay Parts I picked up for stroker motor

Milodon 8 QT pan Pick up and windage tray $75 Ebay

Ford racing pan gasket $10 Ebay

Pan stud kit $10 each Ebay

Cobra valve covers $90 Ebay

Flow tech headers $65 swap meet

B.C. Broncos manifold adapter Horse trade with them for some switches

NEW Pro flow mass air sensor cal for 24lb injectors $40 from Ebay

Yes it says CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool I like Chevy parts in my FORD Summit Ebay $13

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
SCORE! :tup: Yeah, I hit the Portland Swap Meet this weekend and left with a pile of stuff that I actually needed. It was like 1980 there. Folks are hungry. If you want to build a car or engine, now is a good time! Rock on!

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts