1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geoffrion to return in a Ford
By Bill Stephens
ESPN.com

He was one of the "Masters of Mischief" when teamed with Darrell Alderman driving for one of the best known Pro Stock teams in drag racing, Team Mopar. He cut his racing teeth as an understudy to Warren Johnson before achieving headlining status with Alderman, helping his teammate to his third NHRA title in 1994.

Scott Geoffrion was squarely in the limelight.

But prior to the 2000 season, he was released by team owner David Nickens and replaced by Mark Osborne. To many, the idea was unthinkable, as Alderman and Geoffrion embodied the "Butch and Sundance" image that tied so well with their "Dodge Boys" nickname.

In the past two years, Scott has been busy working for his father's family-owned electronics business in California and now makes his home in San Clemente. But now, he is on the verge of returning to the NHRA POWERade Pro Stock series teamed with popular 68-year old Hurley Blakeney and the Panella family, who dominated the Pro Stock Truck category until its discontinuation at the end of last season.

The 37-year-old winner of nine NHRA national events will be driving Blakeney's P/S Mustang which will be powered by engines built by the Panellas. Although Blakeney will not be driving, he plans on attending several of the events where Geoffrion will be competing, starting at the Northwest Nationals in Kent, Wash., just outside Seattle, in July.

"A lot depends on having our engine program ready," says Geoffrion. "We may be out sooner or we may be our later but right now the Seattle race appears to be the best bet."

Geoffrion has competed in both GM and Chrysler-built machinery in his career but says that when he decided he would like to return to racing, he wanted to drive something different. "I didn't want to be just another GM guy, or just another Dodge guy so coming back in a Ford with really great people like Hurley made this situation very attractive to me. I've known Bob Panella for years, in fact, he recommended I take the job with Warren early on in my career because he felt it would definitely help me. It will be great to be involved with him in this new effort."

For Blakeney, who besides racing in Pro Stock for the past several seasons has competed in Competition Eliminator with a wild six-second twin-turbo Thunderbird that runs in the AA/AT category, handing the reigns over to Scott made a lot of sense. "Scott believes he can bring a sponsor on board and when that happens, it will give us the elements we need to be more competitive. I'm letting him pick his crew chief, crew, and other personnel because he'll be the driver and that should be left up to him. I'll still be out at some races with the T-bird so I'm not just quitting altogether."

Says Geoffrion, "I want to come back and pick up where I left off. There seems to be too much predictability in Pro Stock today and I think racing a Ford and having something to say out there is what the class needs. People will get more excited about the class when a Chevy has a staging battle with a Ford or a Ford has one with a Dodge. That's one of the reasons I wanted to come back and stir it up a little."

Spoken like a true mischief maker.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
A Ford in Pro Stock? An end to the endless GM parade weekend after weekend? (although to be fair, Alderman in the Dodge seems to be doing something about that already...). 'Bout durn time!!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sweet. What kind of power plant are they going to use, maybe a 500 cubic inch 4 valve modualr, that should be legal since the 4 vavle is in production. I hope to see him in Seattle this year, I am going to be there on Saturday for qualifying.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There wont be any 4 valve modulars, and there sure as hell wont be any FE's!

Its the tried and true 460 based Pro Stock legend that has propelled Ford machinery into the winners circle for the past...umm, well, who knows!

Bob Glidden did'nt win any Pro Stock events with FE power, it was always with Clevelands and 385's, with a small block Mopar thrown in for good measure!

Sorry FE fans, dont get your hopes up!

Also, sorry to ramble on about the FE situation, but Im glad to see a Ford getting back into it...even if it is FE powered, I'd still cheer for it!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You would think they would or could use the new motor`s. Does any one know why they would not? Is it NHRA not allowing it? Maybe not enough time for R/D on the new motor?
I think it would be cool to see the Modular in Pro-Stock.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
No 4 valve heads, no overhead cams. All parts(heads & block) have to be readily available from your local Ford dealer. Just another way to say " We want your Ford money, but we sure as Hell aren't going to let you be competitive! Anyone know if Dutweiler is still doing Hurley's heads?

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's about time the Ford name returns to ProStock. Pretty much lost interest in it wheen Glidden retired. Guess it's time to renew an old friendship.GOSCOTT!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts