Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tapped and installed them with good luck? Or is it worth having a machine shop install them?

I was adjusting my valves when a few of the press in studs came loose. I didn't think pounding them back in would be a good choice, so it might be a good time for the screw in type.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
543 Posts
in order to install screw in studs, you should have the bosses removed. i tried to do what you asked and i ended up with studs at different angles and one stud breaking on the freeway.
it would be good money spent to have a machine shop do the work.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If your going to run guideplates as well I think you have to have the stud bosses milled the thickness of the plates.If you've got the close tolerance pushrod holes and aren't running guideplates you might be able to do it yourself.It sounds like you've got some work done to your heads though so personally I wouldn't risk it.I don't think it costs much to have it done

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are 289 heads with the "guide" pushrod holes. Do they still need to be milled for ARP stud bolts?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Most of your camshaft manufacturers make a tool that cuts the boss down, drills the stud hole & locates off of the press in stud hole. Mines an Isky. I've done it several times, the last pait on a drill press & a home made sine bar. I've never had a problem & I paid $35 for the tool.

70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 SCJ 4:30 Drag-pak
65 Mustang show car one-owner Un-restored
65 Mustang one-owner
66 Mustang 8-second street legal drag car
90 GT next drag car
68 Hurst Olds 455 4-speed
86 SVO
85 Porsche 944
98 Jeep Wrangler
95 F-150
76 20' E-350 motor home
Too many parts cars to mention

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
You still need to mill the bosses down because the stud will stick up too high and the rocker will bottom out on the stud. I have down several set of 289's and 351 with guides plates mill .3 off on 289 with broached push rod hole mill .25 off. Once you pull the studs you you can aline off the hole to get it close to start with use the valve cover rail.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll just have them installed, I've gone through enough with these heads to risk screwing them up more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts