Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm finally getting around to replacing my worn out seat covers in the Mustang. I've ordered some replacement Pony Interior covers, foam and install kit from the local Mustang store. I'm just doing the two bucket seats but have never done any interior work before on seats. Anyone got any words of wisdom in doing this job? Or is it something better left to a professional upholstery shop to install? Thanks

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Put the covers out in the sun and let them get real nice and warm. It is almost impossible to put them on if they are not warmed up in some way. A heat gun works well too, but use it carefully as you just want to warm the covers. You also want to spray the new seat buns w/ silicone spray so the covers slip over easier. Other than that, putting on the hog rings are pretty straight forward. I agree, sometimes it's easier to have a shop do the upholstery work. But if you take your time and don't rush it, it's doable. When you rush, you tear the covers, I know.
Mike

http://mdstreetracingassoc.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 1/11/07 7:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I installed new covers last winter on my 67 Galaxie. It has bench seats so it was easier than buckets would have been. I was in the marine canvas/cushion business and that helped but I think anyone could do it with a little patience.
Make sure you do it in a warm room, it will keep the vinly soft and stretchier. Work from the middle out and try to keep the tension even.
I ended up using twine to get the covers flat, and then followed up with hog clamps.
A blow dryer after you are finished will help get any small wrinkles and creases out.
If you need any Stainless hog clamps let me know, I got a pile of em!!!! No charge.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 1/11/07 7:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wrap the foam with thin plastic like you get from the dry cleaners, the cover will slide on easier. Get a GOOD hog ring pliers, the longer the better. Your hands will thank you for this. You will be pulling on the material pretty hard sometimes thinking it is about to rip. After you are finished with the seats you do not want to shake hands with anybody for a few days.

http://homepages.together.net/~manycj/mustang/mustang15.htm
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/5205_reupholster_bucket_seats/

·
Registered
333 Posts
Everyone has given good advice, my only addition is to pay real close attention to where the hogrings are attached as you are taking the old covers off. Some bucket seats have rings that anchor the flat panel of the seat to the interior of the frame, and some also have wire hoops that need to be swapped into the new covers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: carsnguitars on 1/11/07 10:48pm ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts