Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have an issue I would like to discuss. I just purchased a 64 Galaxy 500 with bucket seats. When I go to get in with the top up, I have to bend my neck alot to cleat the top. With the top down, the top of the windshield is eye level making it hard to see stop lights. I either have to look under or over top of the windshield. My wife and I both feel the seats are too high. Our heads are above the windshield. Any thoughts how to fix this? I have read I'm not alone with this issue.
I just feel I'm too close to the steering wheel, and too high. I also can't use the door mirrors because I feel I am too far forward. I already installed 2" seat brackets to move the seat back. Any help would be appreciated. I want to love this car, but I also need to be comfortable and feel safe.
Thanks
Terry

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
Not sure what you can do unless you find a different base to go under the buckets. If the car has new seat covers in it then they might of most likely bought the pre-shaped foam replacements for the seats and those things add a couple more inches height to the seat! I bought only one and in the end swapped the driver side with passenger. When my son sits in the passenger side he has the same issue. It's like dino on the flintstones. You might remove the seat covers and remove some of the foam from the bottom side of the foam section so that it isn't as thick. Wish I had done that with mine! That would give a you a little bit of lowering at least. I am not a tiny person, only short and i could barely fit my legs under the steering wheel once i replaced the foam in the seat which is why i swapped seats.

But if you are good with welding and such you could probably cut off part of the base or find a car with lower bucket seats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sounds to me like someone messed with the seats before you got the car. if it were mine, I think I would do what ShotRod64 suggested. Pull those suckers out and find out what's inside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you can do unless you find a different base to go under the buckets. If the car has new seat covers in it then they might of most likely bought the pre-shaped foam replacements for the seats and those things add a couple more inches height to the seat! I bought only one and in the end swapped the driver side with passenger. When my son sits in the passenger side he has the same issue. It's like dino on the flintstones. You might remove the seat covers and remove some of the foam from the bottom side of the foam section so that it isn't as thick. Wish I had done that with mine! That would give a you a little bit of lowering at least. I am not a tiny person, only short and i could barely fit my legs under the steering wheel once i replaced the foam in the seat which is why i swapped seats.

But if you are good with welding and such you could probably cut off part of the base or find a car with lower bucket seats.
Thank you for reaching out. I totally agree about the new foam. The seats have been recovered. I have a friend who is a welder. I think I will try that this winter. The seats are comfortable and don't want to change that. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts