Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the timing cover gasket in my 96 pickup with a 5.0 engine..I pretty much have it all tore down but when I went to remove the long bolts by the water ports they didn't want to budge.One turned slightly but I had that feeling that it was just twisting and about to snap..What are my best options here?...I was planning on heating it as much as possible with a propane torch and whacking the head of the bolt a few times with a hammer...Any other tips or tricks that have worked for you guys?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding of the problem is that the bolts corrode to the aluminium timing cover and that is why they won't turn..Not so much that they are rusted into the block.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just went through this with a Pontiac. Only different is they used studs to hold the timing cover on, not bolts, so the water pump was easily removed. The timing cover was stuck to the studs. I had to tap it off with a rubber mallet.

Follow FE's advice, and use a lot of head on the bolt shafts and where the bolt is threaded into the block.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
It's not about what you've heard...

You will save a LOT of time by cutting off the head of the bolt and making it come off that way then you can head and beat without breaking it of in the block causing you another 2 hours of work...

The oil pan front 4 will need to be loosened... But this is a much easier way, believe me.

Or simply twist until it breaks then struggle with it. either way you got a lot of work to do...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success!...I heated the timing cover and block along where the bolt goes through and tapped the bolts and cover with a hammer. Then I used an electric impact gun to knock the bolts loose..It took some patience on the drivers side as I had to repeat the process a few times but it finally came out without breaking....
Now I am not looking forward to trying to get the timing cover back in place without messing up the lower pan seal and gasket.Its tough with the oil pan still tightened up and dowels on the timing cover..Loosening the oil pan would be a big help but is next to impossible without lifting the motor up.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Yes, I changed timing covers and water pumps without removing or loosening the pan. Just the front bolts that FE mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts