Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a thicker snap ring for a c-4 and I can't see where anyone sells them. Any ideas or should I just talk to the town transmission shop on Monday? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
The snap rings are the same for both clutch packs.You should be able to get them ok.If you can't ,there is oversize steels available to take up the clearance if that would help...

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Your local trans rebuild shop should be able to get all the different thickness selective snap rings, selective #1 and #2 thrusts, and blue Raybestos/Red Alo clutches too. Local shops cost more but they usually have them in stock. I order 2-3 of each different thickness selective snap rings and #1/#2 selective thrust washers at the same time. Also, take your direct clutch piston to a machine shop and have .080"-.100" taken off on the lathe where the steel goes agains so you can add the extra .061" clutch and .060" steel. Shouldn't cost more than $20-$30 from an expensive place but it is a simple machining operation that anyone with a lathe can do. I'm checking into having custom billet pistons made which are stronger and much thinner than stock for 2 added clutches. It is an easy operation to make the piston from billet aluminum or titaniun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought I read somewhere on here about plug welding 2 steels together for the pressure plate. If I did that it would give about .055" more also. Is this recomended? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Check with TimR. Plug welding the steels worked for him.I machine a .060" step in the stock pressure plate or you can get a .140" pressure plate from a c5..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts