Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
the title say's it all... Its still on the truck I have all the bolts loose 1/2" . So it don't fall off (axel's are out). I've tryed useing a large screwdriver and a BFH and it don't seam to want to seperat. Maybe I'm not hitting it hard enough... any other trick.
Tim

64 International 4dr. truck w/466

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pedal2themetal45 on 11/22/06 6:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Use a smaller screwdriver. Sometimes that helps when you need a thinner blade to get in there and separate the housing.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If it's an 8 or 9 inch it came from the factory with copper washers under the nuts which are probably stuck on there preventing the third member from coming loose. The washers are sometimes a bear to remove.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea JIm it does have them darn washers?? So I need to remove them first or just pry harder??
tim

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yeah I agree with Jim..I've always been able to whack it loose with a hammer and screwdriver though but sometimes it takes a while...You can also try sticking a pipe through the U bolts where the driveshaft attaches to the pinion and wiggling from side to side and up and down.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Try to remove the washers,it will come out easier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I usually use a floor jack to jack up the yoke. This usually breaks the seal. Have a pan ready to catch the oil. Just make sure you don't knock the truck off the jackstands.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I mean CRAP....
Its all ways something...... I've tryed the jack thing and wack it with Screwdriver/hammer and let it wiggle little but nothing.
I tyred getting one of the washers off and it just kind of smuoch around and it looks like its smuoch aginst the bolt and down the hole???
I think I'll see if I can pay a moble mech to get it apart for me... I'll see what happend's in the next day or two...
Tim

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI FE
Yea I'll work on it a few days and when my temper gets to me
I'll
and try some more...

tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I take a hammer and drive the studs straight back into the housing. This gets rid of the washers and after you knock 6 or 7 of them out, the housing frees right up. Start at the top of the pumpkin and work one at a time, back and fourth left to right. Don't forget to fish the studs out of the banjo when you are done.

Good Luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mtburger on 11/20/06 7:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just had this same problem at my shop with an 8". We tried everything. Finally cut the washers off and whacked it with a "deadblow" hammer. Left and right on the yoke. Then after it broke the seal we used several screw drivers and a bunch of wiggling to get it out.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Wouldnt an air chisel do good for the job hes trying to do, wether it be the copper washers or even breaking the seal??

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the car is on jack stands, you can't really get the right angle to give a really good wack. Don't worry about the washers. Get the biggest flathead screwdriver that you have, a five pound sledge and two crowbars. Put the big screwdriver on the bottom of the driver's side corner on the seam. You lay down and hold the screwdriver (I know this sounds crazy) on the seam and a helper takes the five pound sledge and kneels or sits on the side of the car and hits it with the sledge. They need to swing hard with two hands (without hitting you!) and 3 or 4 big whacks should open up a crack. Not a crazy baseball swing, but good hard two-fisted hits. Hit it again to open it up more and then go whack on the passenger side. You each put a crowbar on each side and each guy prys it out a little at a time--it helps if you can pull down from the top also. The washers will fights and battle you, but the crowbars will help you win the war.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67VertMustang on 11/20/06 11:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
373 Posts
Take off that last nut you forgot about

The screwdriver and hammer method or jack method has always worked for me.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a sugestion of knocking the studs back.... to do this should I put nuts on the studs so not to hurt the thrieds?? or just wack em..
tim

·
Registered
908 Posts
No need for stud whacking, air chisels, or any of that stuff.

Just remove the copper washers....all of them.... and use a floor jack on the pinion. It will break free with little effort, and you'll be good to go.

Greg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts