Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for interest.
Looking at a H servo today i took from a C5 and the spring (orange in pic) is lighter than a stock C4 ones.. Orange spring is .133" diam and the C4 one is .163" ..
Wonder why????????? Maybe to slow release??????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 10/8/06 2:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It will raise the amout of holding force. It will allow quicker lock-up but I don't think it will do too much to slow the release with the release area and pressure that it has working on it. What is the difference in compressed force between the two?
Lets see, an 18% decrease in wire diameter gives 36% decrease in force. Is 1/3 decrease in spring force going to slow down the release or speed up the apply more? Is the holding force that much different?
With 900 lbs of apply force on a stock tranny, I don't think that 25 lbs of spring force is really going to do much. The same is true of the release but it will make even less difference with 1800 pounds of force releasing that servo in stock form. I don't see where it will make a lot of difference one way or the other, but the largest difference will be in the apply time.
Just my thoughts,
Paul

·
Registered
945 Posts
Have to agree, I don't think the spring plays any serious role in the release operation of a stock trans....it probably has more to do with a slight apply cushion or something along those lines?

How much pressure is required to hold the drum?? Ponder on this....a glide has roughly the same apply area as a B servo yet the release spring is huge....atleast 250lb/in if not more??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts