Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to dallas mustang this weekend and bought a set of scorpion roller rockers. I am going to do my head swap Friday, and I need help with a few things.
1-How do you check to see if the piston is at TDC, I don't have a timing pointer, and I could put #1 at TDC before I put the heads on, but what about the others? Can I use my finger over the plug hole and get it close before I do my hot setting?
2-What do I set the lash to? Do I use stock specs for roller rockers?
3-If I get it running and use an old pair of valve covers w/ the top chopped off, I loosen each one until it makes noise then tighten how many turns?
4-How do you allign guideplates?

I have never done this by myself, and I am a little intimidated about breaking something.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would find TDC with a dial indicator or a degree wheel. Do you have hydralic lifters? if so then read this http://totalengineairflow.com/tech/valvelashing.htm . Its real easy to do with the intake off. You can see when the plunger in the lifter starts to go down as you tighten it. then you'll know what it "feels" like for future valve lashing.

What kind of heads are you putting on? Anything else going on with them?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are just Edelbrock performers. I was going to have them milled, but I plan on using them on a 351 soon. I didnt think about being able to watch the lifters when the intake is off. Would I just set the lash with a feeler gauge when the lefter is at the bottom of its range, then go back and do it when its running the noise way?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
No. Just watch them. Tighten until the plunger JUST starts to go down. Now your a zero lash. Then give it a 1/4 turn more. Then move on to the next cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts